1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

What to do about migraine pain that comes on during sleep

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by migrainewarrior, Apr 20, 2022.

1. migrainewarrior

migrainewarrior New Member

I've been managing my symptoms a lot better during my waking hours lately (Jim Prussack's approach has been hugely helpful for migraine specifically), but now it seems I get my worst pain flare ups in my sleep--they wake me up or I wake up in severe pain. At that point it's too late to take a rescue med (for migraines). Any thoughts on how to tackle this?

2. Saffron

Saffron Peer Supporter

I wake every single day with level 8 migraine. I need advice too. ☹️

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Rather than managing symptoms (which you can't do while asleep), I suggest working on the cause of your symptoms, which is psychological (if you believe your migraines are TMS). Are you doing one of the structured programs available on this site or in several TMS books? I used Unlearn Your Pain by Dr. Schubiner and have been migraine free for over 7 years. Be patient as it can take some time for the programs to decrease and then eliminate your migraines.

4. migrainewarrior

migrainewarrior New Member

Thank you for replying. I have done the Unlearn Your Pain book and a whole bunch of other programs/books/groups etc. That's why I say I am currently managing the symptoms. I am still having chronic pain after 2 years although it is much less than it was and doesn't control my life any more.

Ellen likes this.