1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4 What the Doctor said

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Beverley, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Beverley

Beverley Newcomer

What was the most disheartening thing a doctor has told you about your symptoms? In what ways have you kept that in your mind?

Well, seven years ago when i had the IBS-C diagnosis, my GP prescribed laxatives and said I just had to live with it. To make it worse, he told me how he'd come to terms with his own sensitivity towards tomatoes. Ugh. I refused to accept the diagnosis and thankfully, he was kind enough to put me through a series of tests, which were all clear. I was very frustrated and confused at the time, but now I recall those as evidence for a TMS diagnosis instead. Because, there is nothing wrong with me!

I think the fact that IBS is not really a 'thing' and a firm belief that the medical model responds to the symptom rather than finding the cause, is what has kept me going on my search for an alternative solution. Whilst that search has sent me down some dead ends, it has inevitably brought me to the mind-body connection. Thankfully, i now have a trauma therapist who is helping me realise and face my 'difficult' emotions, which has been transformative. So, thanks to her and to all the TMS contributors, i anticipate that recovery will emerge as my confidence and practice develops, and then I'll write to Dr P*&%$l and let him know how he can cure his tomato problem.

2. LaineyVeganseed

LaineyVeganseed Peer Supporter

On Day 4 myself, which brought up a lot of rage towards the doctors I saw, and their "limited" knowledge. For me, I realized that expressing my previously suppressed feelings is a very important step, yet forgiveness is a big part of the healing as well. I am guessing all of our doctors, if they knew and believed in TMS treatment, would much rather see their patients heal using it. When we start to advocate for this with our success stories, we can be a part of that process. Doctors are human, too, and they only know what their knowledge and experience has taught them. Glad to be on this journey with you and others!

JanAtheCPA likes this.