1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4 What the doctor said

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Rosebud, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Rosebud

Rosebud Peer Supporter

The most disheartening thing a doctor has ever told me about my symptoms was at the same time quite frightening, totally banal and unfortunately pretty believable.

"It's aging. Physiotherapy helped you ten years ago, but your tendons and other body thingies (that's a medical term, I assure you) are ten years older now, and there's only so much physiotherapy can do." On the other hand hand, he also told me that if I could drop 10 kilos, my back pain would vanish.

He was wrong. Wrong on all counts, really. Although I do agree physiotherapy can only do so much (not a whole lot if we're talking TMS), the right physiotherapist can do a whole lot. And I do have one of those, and this same doctor recommended him to me! Well, what do you know! My physiotherapist is a sweet, sweet man, who has never mentioned TMS, but basically says the same things Dr. Sarno says. OK, he doesn't tell me to stop all physiotherapy, of course. ;) One day, I will write about this in more detail, but long story short, the things he told me led me to thinking I have TMS, and I will be forever grateful to him.

The weight claim is wrong too. I lost 17 kilos (another weird story I'll write about some other day), and it didn't help my back one little bit.

Other than that, he's not a bad doctor. He doesn't know a lot about chronic pain, is all.

westb likes this.
  2. westb

westb Well known member

You write so well, Rosebud. I don't want to say I'm "enjoying" your posts since there is a serious purpose behind them, but you convey the TMS message clearly and powerfully.

plum likes this.
  3. Rosebud

Rosebud Peer Supporter

Thank you, that means a lot to me!

4. Logan Cale

Logan Cale New Member

You are lucky getting such a good physiotherapist. I have had some terrible ones. They have slightly hinted at TMS, then stopped short. I think they know about TMS, but don't want to lose business from it. It's all backwards.

Well done on losing the weight and making the TMS connection! Sometimes I think doctors should have a disclaimer that says this advice is for entertainment purposes only, as a lot don't know what they are talking about when it comes to chronic pain.

5. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Only to echo @westb in saying that I am also enjoying your posts. I shall not shy away from the fact that the twist of melancholy and beauty touch me deeply. I have always loved the nourishing depths of night, moontime, sorrow and the stillness of observation.

You write well my dear, and authentically. May your healing unfurl as delicately and naturally as the rosebud of your nom de plume.

6. Rosebud

Rosebud Peer Supporter

Feeling warm and fuzzy now...