1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

What tests should I get done?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by scottyboy8, Mar 25, 2015.

1. scottyboy8

scottyboy8 Peer Supporter

Hi all,

I live in Thailand where health care is very cheap so I am planning on going to the hospital this weekend and asking for as many tests as I can possibly get. I am unsure what could confirm TMS or rule out other symptoms, so any information or any idea of what kind of tests I should get are appreciated.

Here is a quick background on me:
    • Had lower back pain/sciatica symptoms for the past 2 years.
    • Pain has gotten better but not completely gone since reading Sarno's books.
    • Pain is in left glute and radiates all the way down to left foot (foot pain after I read Sarno's books - symptom imperative?) Back pain seems to have gone since I feel there is no structural abnormality.
    • Other new pain/symptoms I've noticed is severe clicking in sacro/groin/hip area, with the feeling of some very inflamed tissue on the left side of my pubis region.
    Here is what tests I am going to get/ask for:

• MRI
    • Oxygen saturation levels in my muscles
    • Electromyogram
    • Anything else that could help?
    Thank you to everyone for reading this and for your help,
    Scott

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Just curious as to why health care in Thailand is "very cheap"? I would think it would be the opposite. MRI's are expensive and in many places it takes a long time waiting in the que to get one.

3. scottyboy8

An MRI costs about $250 and can be done with 2 days booking in advance at an MRI centre. I'm not sure why the healthcare is so cheap here, nor am I sure this is the the forum to discuss it.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Scottyboy. You're lucky to be able to get medical care "cheap."
    Just tell a "good" doctor what your pain symptoms are and he-she will suggest what tests to get.
    MRIs and other tests may show a structural problem but as Dr. Sarno writes, they may not cause pain.
    Pain otherwise comes from the subconscious mind wanting us to discover repressed emotions. Usually
    hidden anger that stems from childhood emotional or physical stresses.

Good luck with the exams and discovering if you have TMS repressed emotions.
    It's my guess that that is causing your pains.

5. PamD

PamD Peer Supporter

Hi Scott,

I had a positive experience with medical care at a hospital in Bangkok, I actually went there specifically, and it was indeed quite affordable. It was a place where every test and doctor was available on site so results and recommendations came fast. Tests can give us information. Like Walt mentioned, think about the aspect of TMS in which the subconscious manifestations of repressed emotions and unresolved issues show up as pain and clue us in to opportunities to heal. I wish you well with the tests. Keep us posted.

6. scottyboy8

Thanks very much for your replies.

The problem is the language barrier, and while most doctors in Thailand can speak English almost fluently, I believe that some things may get lost in translation. Therefore, I was hoping people could recommend exactly what tests I should be asking for. I went to what is regarded as the best international hospital in Bangkok and the physician lay me on a table and asked me to pull my knee to my shoulder. He immediately diagnosed me with a herniated disc and told me I need operation. This was within literally 2 minutes of hobbling into the guy's office. So I would not like to rely solely on the advice of the doctors as the medical industry in Thailand is very much a business.

I feel that there is a weakness in my left leg with some muscle dystrophy and I am getting some tingling in my foot and I'm very fearful of foot drop. I believe an EMG will be suffice to rule out any nerve damage, so that is one that I can definitely go for. I would love for a needle to withdraw blood from my glute and check the oxygen saturation levels in this blood but unsure if such tests exists. I know that SP02 measures this but unsure if I can get blood from an exact area? Perhaps an St02 test would be better but unsure if many places actually have the equipment to test this. I just feel that if the physician could confirm that my tissues have a deprived oxygen level then it could make me believe in TMS 100% because then I could see the physical cause of my pain and know that it stems from TMS repressed emotions.

I am not worried about an MRI showing a herniated disc because I believe that probably 80% of the population have a herniated disc in the lumbar region, and this has been proven to me by the research I've done and found some very good stuff that reinforces this. So I am only getting an MRI to see if there is anything absolutely crazy going on back there, but I highly doubt it. After reading Sarno's books I have had literally no back pain, only really pain in my glutes downwards.

If anyone has any suggestions on what else I should be asking for (reflex tests or something like that) then it would be very much appreciated.

Again, thank you Walt and Pam for your help.

Regards,
    Scott