1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 34 What part of TMS do you think is frustrating or silly?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by HPJM, Sep 6, 2015.

1. HPJM

HPJM New Member

What part of PPD do you think is frustrating or silly? Is there something about the theory you don't accept? What personality trait do you think makes you feel this way?

I don't think anything is frustrating or silly. But one thing which I have trouble accepting is all the journaling, especially about things which, before I journal, I don't think I need to. I realise a lot of it as digging deep and making that link between the emotions and pain on some kind of level.

But sometimes I feel almost narcissistic writing so much about myself, not really because I feel unworthy, but because I feel like it is unnecessary, when it isn't. I think that comes from being a 'stoic'. I've often ignored emotions and find it difficult recognising them and expressing them. I used to have negative ideas about expressing emotions, like it was feminine or just plain awkward. I have yet to journal about the personality trait of being a stoic.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I hope you can get over narcissistic feelings about journaling. Its intention is to help you discover emotions you may have been repressing for years.
    As for being a stoic, that tells me a lot about you. One of my best friends was a stoic and by keeping his thoughts and emotions inside of him made life a hell for everyone who loved him. Journaling about your emotions can be "awkward" or even emotionally distressing, and so what if it is "feminine"?
    I believe every man has a feminine side to some degree, and that it is healthy to accept that and even be glad of it.

There is a definite link between our emotions and our pain, as Dr. Sarno and many other TMS therapists agree.

Journaling helped to heal me of severe back pain and also was a major factor in Steve Ozanich being healed from multiple severe pains, as he writes in his wonderful book, THE GREAT PAIN DECEPTION.

Scott Brady, MD, recommends "depth journaling," in his TMS book PAIN FREE FOR LIFE: "Getting dangerous emotions out of your mind and spirit, and onto a piece of paper, has amazing health benefits including the potential of making you pain-free. My patients have understood for years that depth journaling is a critical piece of the recovery plan for those who suffer from (TMS) symptoms and have been freed from chronic pain by practicing journaling."

3. HPJM

HPJM New Member

Thanks for the words of wisdom Walt. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of journaling, I've been doing it for over a year. Expressing emotions is human, full stop. These are just my doubts, and they are weakening by the day.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for the explanation. I am glad you believe in the benefits of journaling. It's great that you feel your doubts are weakening.

I hope you are enjoying a restful Labor Day. I plan to take it easy and after an hour, stay off the computer.