1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 17 What part of this program do you find the most helpful?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by rudybarron, Dec 12, 2022.

1. rudybarron

rudybarron New Member

This one is easy. Journaling has been the most helpful for me.

It's helped me see how the childhood trauma I went through is still impacting me today. I'm still learning a lot but I now see that what I thought was "normal" for me was actually me being very anxious and stressed. I guess I was so used to it that I couldn't even recognize it. I also see how hard it is to change these behaviors. I've really struggled with the learning to "feel my emotions." This stuff is so hard for me and I'd often try to recognize some emotion and then move on - not much feeling when doing it that way.

Lately though, I've found it much more effective for me when I listen to and question that little voice in my head. That little voice never shuts up and is so quick to point out the negative and the what ifs. When I catch myself thinking these thoughts I'm now able to review them and tie that to an emotion I'm feeling. I'm also having some quick conversations with myself to say it's okay be to be feeling this way and that I'm safe and things will get better - something I always wanted to hear growing up but never did. That method just makes sense to me and seems to be working- yay!

I've also decided to start saying the opposite of my negative thoughts when I catch that little voice trying to start some shit. Those thoughts of "what if the shoulder pain is real and I need surgery?" are now followed up with "what if the pain goes away and never returns?" If I'm going to think about the worst case scenario, I might as well counter it with the best case.

JanAtheCPA likes this.