1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

What kind of books do you guys read?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by stevow7, Apr 27, 2023.

Tags:
  1. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

I have read Sarnos before, but what other books do you guys usually read? Doesn't have to be tms related. I also like self improvement.

2. Ludmilla

Ludmilla Peer Supporter

I have read my fair share of classic TMS books and keep them on hand.

I'm an avid reader (librarian here) and a few months ago I decided to go through all my books and only keep those that spark good feelings in me. Essays about hiking and nature, poetry, beautiful novels... it's à very personal choice but I feel better for it.

stevow7 likes this.
  3. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

You say not specific to TMS and also potentially inclusive of self-improvement books. Based on that instruction, I’ve got both thoughts and questions for you.

As a personal example, I recently bought a book about dismantling guilt over not finding a “one and only” soulmate because many of us have multiple soulmates throughout our lives (I definitely know I have!). I’ve also recently read a book about owning one’s personal decision to be childfree by choice. These are two topics that result in stress when I’m judged by others, even though I’m genuinely happy with my life choices. This is the life I’ve wanted for as long as I can remember, but I definitely see a TMS link for me - I’m a female in my thirties and external judgment and pressure have sometimes been relentless. Reading these books was freeing for me on both mental and physical level (given the mind-body connection).

That’s just me and just one example. The important questions: what’s critical to you? Is there something specific you would like to focus on? Are you looking for guidance or - in my case above - validation to keep going in your desired direction without worry? What would make you happy right now (big or small)?

Sometimes healing is less about reading TMS instruction manuals and more about acceptance, managing and thrives during times of uncertainty, immersing yourself in things that you love, etc. Is there something in particular you wish to achieve? I’m happy to brainstorm some tailored reading material recommendations based on your thoughts!

stevow7 likes this.
  4. stevow7

O as long as you like them thats what matters!

5. stevow7

Thanks for sharing your book decisions. Well, honestly I would like to do many things in life, getting to meet new friends, going out to places, eating delicious food, not be an overthinker, not be tired a lot of the times and having to take naps and stuff, go to the gym and get strong without thinking the gym would just deplete me more. I also make content and I love it but sometimes I just feel so tired and exhausted to do stuff.

but when it comes to reading. I don’t mind reading TMS, the thing is, I have read a lot about it (I say that and I still fall into tms traps lol) and well I like things like self improvement as well. I wanted to read “The Power of Now” by Eckhart Tolle but I procastinate a lot.

One thing that is happening to me right now is, I went to the dentist, a doctor told me there’s something suspicious in one of my teeth (like a cavity), but she wasnt sure. then that area started to hurt, I called the dentist to check if the doctor could tell me if there’s something wrong and he said no. No cavities, but it hurts… so I’m not sure what to do.

6. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Tooth pain is a common TMS symptom. Don’t be afraid of it or worry about it. The dentist said it was fine. It was one of my symptoms and is gone.
    If you find it hard to read books, maybe try audio books. He reads the book and it’s free to listen on YouTube. So is Claire Weekes reading her book.

7. Booble

Booble Well known member

I've gone back to reading Fiction. Ahh, such a delight.

stevow7 and Dorado like this.
  8. stevow7

Yeah I wasted 40 bucks when I went to the dentist just to make sure if I had something.