1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 17 What I've found most helpful

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by UkAdR, May 25, 2014.

1. UkAdR

UkAdR Peer Supporter

Hi all,

Been a little remiss in my posting and TMS healing lately, and I have unfortunately had a little increase in my pain. But still feeling much better than 12 weeks ago!

Here is day 17's question :)

What part of this program do I find the most helpful?

This is a tough one, as it’s difficult to pinpoint the thing that is helping the most. I think the thing that is helping the most is just knowing that there are many, many other people seemingly going through the same struggles. I have been feeling a little despondent the last few days as my pain has flared up a little more than before and I have found myself thinking about my pain medication more than other times. I have needed it more again and am still getting a little frustrated by my reliance on it. But then again I still have t think positive and think in the moment. I have lost sight a little of the TMS way of thinking and think this has stunted both my healing and my more positive thinking. I have also found myself getting impatient with my healing again, and have to remind myself that it is still only around 10 weeks ago that I actually found out about TMS and started thinking psychologically. Knowing that others must go through the same thing, and seeing posts about people who have taken a year or two to get to the point they are at now is encouraging. IT can sometimes feel so lonely when your wife, parents, friends and children all seem so healthy (back wise) and I am still struggling along with my pain. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe my pain increase at the moment is because I have been beating my pain? Maybe it is flaring up a little to try and get me thinking physically again more, as I have been. That is its goal isn’t it? I need to stay the course and keep fighting, keep thinking psychologically. I need to make sure that I remember that I aren’t alone – just because I’m not standing right next to others like me doesn’t mean they aren’t there around the world, in the country, on my estate. From what I have read there are millions, and I am already streets ahead of most as I know about TMS and I know what is wrong with me. I need to make sure I don’t turn my back on that luck and gift and don’t waste the opportunity that I guess many will never even get.

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Wow UkadR, This sounds like what I went through and what every tms person I have ever helped has went through. It wouldn't be normal I don't think if you don't have these thoughts sometimes -- just look at the discussions in the PPD/TMS recovery program for instance, Its full of these stories.
    Even though we have these doubts and steps that go back like imperatives and such the key is to keep on keeping on like you are saying in your post, you know the way.
    Bless you