1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 11 What I've been noticing

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by dcl1597, Feb 2, 2016.

1. dcl1597

dcl1597 New Member

While today's question deals with exercise, I feel like my answer hasn't changed since day 3 where my answer was pretty similar, so I wanted to reassess some things that I've slowly been noticing over the last week and a half of the program. For one, the neck and back muscle soreness that I’ve had periodically for years but I guess I hadn’t really thought about has been returning. While normally I would shake this off, I’m now noticing that this might be a manifestation of TMS that I had before when I was stressed but I just brushed off. Maybe now that I’m trying to allow my present main concern (my stomach problems) to bother me less, this effect is returning. I won’t complain if it’s a sign of progress though. I was also very interested in the Runner’s World article- so much of it rang true to me! I was just thinking back on my last season as a track runner- it was during a very stressful time of high school when I was anxious about work, a lack of sleep, friends, and college applications. By the end of the season, I was suffering from horrible runner’s knee, ankle pain, shin splints, and hip pain. Runner’s knee runs in my family, and I had to run on concrete a lot, so I blamed my physical issues then on that, but I’m not realizing this may have been a manifestation of TMS as well. I suppose it’s too late to really tell, but definitely a possibility! It’s been interesting watching the dots connect...

Stella likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, dc. I add the dots to thinking you may have been trying too hard, as a runner and maybe in life in general. Your pains are moving around because, as Dr. Sarno writes in Healing Back Pain, your subconscious (your friend, not your enemy), wants you to become a happier, healthier person by discovering the emotions that trouble you so it gives you pain. My chiropractor years ago told me that no one should run on concrete because it's too hard on the spine. But be careful of running on grass. A girlfriend of mine was jogging on grass and didn't see a hole and tripped in it, fracturing an ankle.

You do sound like you're making good progress in TMS healing. Keep up your belief in TMS.

3. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Hi dcl. I think that connecting the dots, recognizing patterns, and learning to alter our behaviors in the future are some of the primary benefits of this program.
    Of course, after doing so I was tempted to beat myself up for not seeing the big picture earlier! However, I choose instead to celebrate the fact that I now have options for dealing with TMS pain in a healthier manner.
    Blessings as you continue your journey.