1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

What is up with me this week?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Moose, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Moose

Moose Peer Supporter

I don't know why, but I've been feeling really unhappy and oddly stressed the last couple of days. Physically I've just been feeling kind of anxious and agitated, and I can't get to sleep at night. I've been trying to think psychologically and work out why, all I can come up with is that there are a few minor-ish stresses that are getting at me this week, in particular I'm feeling obligated to do a couple of (minor) things I don't really want to, and I had a dance lesson for the first time in a year and I felt kind of embarrassed at how bad I've become. But these seem like minor blips.

As a result of journalling and working through the TMS recovery program, I've been feeling a lot of resentment for my family, and I wonder if this is the cause. However, that's something I've been dealing with for a couple of weeks, rather than just the last 2 days so it seems a bit odd that it would only affect me now.

My pain level has gone up a bit too, which I'm not too worried about because I'm fairly sure that once I feel a bit happier and more settled, that will settle as well. Anyway, I just wondered if anyone had any advice for working through feelings like this when you don't know what the cause is or how to feel better.

Cheers,
    Moose

2. AngK

AngK Peer Supporter

Moose... I'm sorry that I don't have any answers for you. I'm kind of in the same boat. In fact, I just posted a thread very similar to this one! I wonder sometimes if my subconscious is on autopilot or on a timer, and it can cause symptoms whether I need them or not... so to look for a "reason" is sometimes (sometimes - not always) an act of futility. I just hope that through the program it eventually shuts off or becomes less automatic. But, this is just my theory du jour! I am no expert and not a success story (yet) - so take what I say with a grain of salt. Anyway, perhaps one of the more veteran members has some good suggestions. I do know, for me, it's easier to handle if I continue with my daily activities & exercise, etc. It just sort of empowers me... whether it helps the symptoms or not. Good luck!

3. Moose

Moose Peer Supporter

Thanks Ang - it's not the pain itself that really bothers me (although I'd be lying if I said it didn't a little bit), just the horrible feelings that I don't understand!

4. Moose

Moose Peer Supporter

Hi Anne, thanks for the book recommendation, I'll definitely check that out :)

Yeah, I think I was probably really hard on myself. I've actually been a bit better in this regard in the past few weeks, but I think in the last few days those negative self-thoughts have been creeping in - they're so insidious! Just when you start to feel better about yourself, they say 'Why do you feel better? You don't deserve to.' I guess that's a long-term battle.

gailnyc likes this.
  5. Moose

Moose Peer Supporter

That's good! I feel a bit better in myself too.

6. Solange

Solange Well known member

Hi Moose
    I could have written your post myself, with the exception of the dance class bit. Do you know it sometimes seems to be the little things I'm forced to do that niggle me most. Last straw that breaks the camel's back maybe? Hope you're feeling better soon.

7. Calum

Calum Well known member

Hi Moose,

I can definitely relate to what you are saying about your family, through journalling I've become very resentful even angry at my Dad and I'm not ready to forgive. My theory is that this resentment has been stored away and building up for years and it will take time to get it all out (hopefully less time than you have been repressing it), but when you have got all the resentment and anger out though journalling etc. you'll be ready to forgive and let go of the resentment. Just a theory as you know I'm very new to this :)

8. Moose

Moose Peer Supporter

Hey Calum, yeah I'm in the same situation with my Dad! Journalling and thinking about my childhood has definitely stirred up a lot of stuff for me. So much so that right now I'm struggling to see anything but the bad in them (even though there is good there too!). Hopefully it'll get easier to reconcile my conflicted feelings over time.

Solange - I agree, sometimes the little things make me unreasonably angry or resentful (not that I let it show of course) - typical TMSer or what?

9. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

I do this all the time, too. On Sunday I was really upset about my seeming lack of TMS progress in recent weeks, and then I got upset with myself for being upset! Self-compassion is hard for me.

10. Moose

Moose Peer Supporter

Yeah. I've had more pain this week, but I've been reminding myself that it's still an overall reduction, and more importantly I'm doing all the things I want/need to do without anywhere near the amount of fear that I had before, and that's quite amazing in itself :)

gailnyc likes this.