1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 34 What is most frustrating about PPD/TMS?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Laudisco, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

Well, I guess there are lots of frustrating aspects! Probably the most obvious thing that frustrates me is that this process seems to take such a long time. Yet I'm learning to be patient and not to rush things. Inner healing and personal growth takes time, and I've discovered that many people don't have the "instant" recoveries after reading the Dr Sarno books.

Another frustrating thing is that now I'm going through a lot of blood tests and examinations from the neurologist, to rule out any more serious condition. I hate getting lots of needles so it only adds to my stress levels! I also have less faith in the medical profession since I know most doctors have no idea about mind body illnesses and overlook this significant area.

It's annoying because I know it's necessary, but deep down I'm fairly certain I have TMS/PPD. It feels like I'm wasting my parent's money on all these exams, yet hopefully it will just confirm the TMS diagnosis and give me greater certainty. It also seems odd to me that I'm doing all the testing now, but when I first got my neuropathic pain I didn't have to go through all these tests.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that because I find it so difficult going through so much stress, money and effort to go through all these tests - when I'm about 99% certain nothing is going to show up.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Laudisco, I'm not a doctor and probably should not suggest you delay the blood tests and other exams. Wait a while and see if TMS cures you.

A head of cancer surgery wanted to rush me to the hospital and open my neck when I came in to show a mysterious pimple on it.
    I insisted on a culture being taken, and after he resisted, finally had the culture taken and it just turned out to be a tiny water blister.
    No pain, no cancer, no operation. I too have lost faith in doctors. Most of them seem to just want to give out pills and cut into us.

Let your gut feeling that your pain is TMS have a chance to prove it.

Laudisco likes this.
  3. Stella

Stella Well known member

I have had tingling in my feet and hands for years. I was told spinal stenosis. I always blamed it on my back. Scoliosis surgery in 1968. Tailbone pain. .. must be my back. Shin splints.... must be my back. Pelvic floor problems. .. must be my back. Foot problems. .. must be my back. IT band problems... must be my back. Neck pain.. low back pain. . Sciatica.. must b be my back.

Guess what ....it is not my back. My back is healthy and strong. My body is healthy and strong. Yours is too.

Laudisco likes this.
  4. Laudisco

Thanks to both of you! I really appreciate it. I think it's wise for me to rule out things like Multiple Sclerosis, as that seems to be the main disease the doctors are checking for. But interestingly enough, I have even read people who actually live "symptom free" with MS because they changed their attitude! So even with a disease like that, I suspect there is a strong psychological element involved in the pain levels people experience. It's amazing how the mind plays such a strong role, even in diseases which have some structural element (like cancer, heart disease etc).

5. Stella

Stella Well known member

Dr. Gabor Mate' is one of my favorite authors, When The body Says No, and youtube videos. This is only 10 minutes long. He has others much longer that are very thought provoking too. See what you think.

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Laudisco, I think you're right, that attitude is very important in healing.
    But I think it is still essential to believe in TMS causing the pain, that is is psychological and not structural.

I worry about this and that, and when I change my Inner Bully from negative to positive thinking, I feel much better.
    Pain and anxiety go away.

Thanks for posting the Dr. Mate video. He's wonderful. He doesn't look very happy on the outside,
    but I'm sure he is in the inside, where it matters most.

Hope you have a happy, healthy, prosperous new year.

Laudisco likes this.
  7. Laudisco

I totally agree that it's crucial to believe that the cause is not structural. I guess it's probably good for me to rule out physical problems, because it will give my subconscious mind more confidence that I am really experiencing TMS.

Have a wonderful New Year Walt! :)