1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

What if...

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Layne, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Layne

Layne Well known member

What if today could be better than yesterday?
    What if today goes much better than I expect?
    What if I believe without doubt, in TMS? I have already tried the conventional ways, and I can always go back to disbelief if nothing happens...
    But what if something happens? What if I kick the fatigue and the IBS and the depression and the anxiety?
    What if I learn so much about myself and fall in love with myself so that I never accept abuse again? So that I never say Yes without actually wanting to again?
    What if I become so confident that I can go get my PhD and further research on TMS and trauma?

My favorite new game is the (positive) what if game. To me, it ignites curiosity and playfulness - things I have been wanting to bring more of into my life.

Nothing to lose except a whole host of uncomfortable afflictions. Let's have some fun!

2. Lori

Lori Well known member

Excellent.

Belief is paramout for true healing!

Layne likes this.
  3. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

Positive "what ifs"! I love it!!!!

I fall prey to the "what ifs" all the time. My attempt to neutralize a negative "what if", when I consciously recognize one, has been just to talk back to it with the counter "maybe that will happen, but WHAT IF it DOESN'T". It has helped a bit, but not as much as I'd hoped. Reading your positive "what ifs" just made me realize why the value of this has been so limited for me - even my counter "what if" is negative with a tiny positive tilt

Starting today I'm going to make a real effort to counter my negative "what ifs" only with positive "what ifs". Thank you for broadening my perspective - the opposite of a negative "what if" can be something beyond just adding another negative to counter it! Thanks so much for posting this Layne, you made my day!!!

4. Layne

Layne Well known member

Woot woot! Leslie - it is so fun! I can feel the excitement every time I ask myself "what if?" now! :)

5. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

Here's the one that came to my mind today:
    What if I actually figure out what I want to do, since I am grown up, and take the steps to do it!

This is a counter to my seemingly perpetual state of having "no idea what I want to be if I ever grow up. Somewhere along the lines I got that idea that no matter how old you actually are, reaching the state of "grown up" requires that you know exactly how you want your life to be and you're working toward that. So far, my college degree in an area I have zero interest in and the various unfulfilling sources of paychecks have given me the sense that I am in a continued state of adolescence because I don't "fit" with the "grown ups".

This is the most fun I've had with a game in a long time! Here's another one - what if this is not a game, but reality!!

6. Layne

Layne Well known member

LESLIEEEE! You're brilliant :) And it IS reality. I think it's like an intro to law of attraction :D and it sure gets my creative juices flowing. Play play play. I think all TMSers could do with more play. I know I can.

And I feel you on the growing up thing - I think I have been avoiding a "real" job because I don't want to grow up. I think that's the dependency trait as far as TMS is concerned. I want someone to come along and save me, provide for me, so I can do whatever I want. Now I'm just trying to find something I love to do so much that it doesn't feel like work. I have faith that I am on the path :)

7. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Perhaps, we were given our imaginations to help us create our positive what if's in our life.
    G.R.

8. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

I believe you are on to something there G.R. I spent the morning with the imagination of an almost 4 year old. In reality there were 5 humans in the house. In the imagination of this wonderful little person there were at least 7 imaginary figures there to play as well, and they had all spent the night! You could just tell by the descriptions that these imaginary people were so very real to this child, and that imagination is so vivid that I found if I tried hard enough I could actually see them too. It was a wonderful experience. And to think, I've been struggling with imagery. Guess I just have to put the image I'm wanting to see into the mind of this young child and have it described back to me!

9. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

I do believe using one's imagination through visualization can change anything in our lives.
    There have been studies with cancer patients imagining pack men eating the cancer and it
    has been measured that the cancer in the body has decreased.

One of my favorite books that about using one's imagination is the Anatomy of a Miracle by
    Dr. James Richards. It is phenomenal. Dr. Richard's talks about actually seeing (visualizing) the end result you
    want and attaching feelings to it. He believes this really can change anything in our lives even our
    cell biology. Interesting read.

Leslie, it sounds like you are having some fun with imagery. That is great!!
    G.R.