1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 20 What I would change about my life

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by clive, Jun 6, 2013.

1. clive

clive New Member

I would probably either be in a well paid enough job to be able to pay for things like psychotherapy when I needed them or else my everyday work would be in this area; rather than being caught between two stools as I am.

But hey what am I doing at the moment with little money: I am working things out for myself with the help of others - so I suppose I am getting psychotherapy and I am kind of working in this area by taking a DIY approach to psychotherapy.

Cheers

Clive

gailnyc likes this.
  2. Stella

Stella Well known member

I am in the same situation as you and do feel at no cost I learned more about myself here on the wiki than a life time of therapy.

3. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

I completely agree with you Stella! Not 6 even 6 months ago I started the SEP. I was completely convinced that I was a physical, mental, emotional wreck that would require a team of experts to repair. And I had a whole collection of physical experts, to the extent that I followed their advice and left my job, leaving me financially unable to add any experts of the psychological nature. 10-15 years ago I was able to afford psychological therapy and I had several years of CBT for depression/anxiety. A lot of good it did me, when I needed them most, all those "skills" were no where to be found, and it didn't keep the depression/anxiety from escalating into TMS.

I can certainly see the benefits of psychotherapy and if the financial resources are there I may enter treatment again some day. When, and if I do it will be a completely different experience for me. I will actually be an active partner rather than a passive patient expecting to sit on a couch while someone "fixes" me. I will actually be able to identify the areas where I feel I could benefit from another perspective AND I will enter a type of therapy that is most likely to benefit me. Before I found this site I thought all therapy was the same, the progress was just determined by your repore with your therapist. Now that I know there are almost 100 different types of psychological therapy and that not every one works for every person, I will be a much better educated patient and consumer.