1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

What I fear most

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by tgirl, Dec 16, 2015.

1. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

I know our pain is meant to distract us from things that worry us or that we fear, but ironically I think my biggest fear is of becoming physically debilitated or in such intense pain that I won't be able to cope or of possibly dying of a horrible neurological disease. I mean these things absolutely terrify me.

So in effect my body is giving me sensations that represent things that I fear rather than experiencing these sensations in order to mask my fears. I am sure I have lots of repressed issues as well that I haven't dealt with yet. I guess TMS can present in this way too? I hope this makes sense.

silentflutes likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, tgirl. I definitely believe TMS emotions can make us fearful, of most things but especially fearing becoming physically debilitated and even of dying from some disease. I was born in June so my zodiac sign is Cancer and they are worriers. I used to worry a hangnail into losing an arm. TMS has taught me not to worry so. As for fearing to die of a horrible neurological disease (or anything), that rarely happens, although we can do nothing about when the Lord wants us to play golf with him in Heaven. I have done a lot of reading on "the end game" and many famous people say they have faith that the afterlife is going to be better than this one. I like to think of that as THE BEST IS YET TO COME.

I hope you can enjoy the days leading up to Christmas and enjoy them and spread cheer and love around. It will make you forget your pain.
    Happy Ho! Ho!

3. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Thank you Walt. I am not sure of my view of what comes 'later' so I don't find comfort in that, but I certainly strive to find peace here on earth.

Merry Christmas Walt!

4. stevee620

stevee620 New Member

Hi Tgirl,
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm also new to this site. Finding myself in my current state, with that i mean my whole life at the moment, i know that i must have lots of baggage and repressed anger, but i'm also afraid that these painful conditions will never go away. And this fear is fueling the symptoms i've no doubt of that. Truth is, i don't really know how to stop it. Its the old "vicious circle". I've just started reading my first Dr Sarno book, and already i'm worried that i may be in the 20% category that requires psychotherapy, and that won't be an easy thing to get. Especially one that deals with TMS. This TMS theory is basically my last port of call, i've tried everything else, so i'm pinning a lot of hope on it. I wish you well and feel free to message me anytime.
    Good luck,
    Stephen.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  5. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

what have u tried?

6. silentflutes

silentflutes Peer Supporter

i loved your question. it intrigued me and made me ponder.
    i fear of physical disability.
    tms is trying to avoid that fear which leads to physical disability.
    finally there is physical disability, did tms expressed fear or masked it?

i feel that your fear of being physically disable has nothing to do with physically disabled. it has more to do with FEAR. you may fear physically disability, but physical disability is outcome which you fear, not the cause. cause is repressed emotion in you. those humongous volume of feelings under our skin when surfaces gives you lot of psychological tension which is tougher than the physical counterpart. any physical expression of pain is just result, expression thought by brain as substitute to distract from feeling feelings that you don't want.

I would rather tense my muscle, stammer than feel my fear.
    I would rather have headache than accept rejection hurt.

Tms is always coping mechanism, it doesn't express fear, it is secure way chosen. brain has two option to cope. option a resurface and feel all emotions. option b express physically. since you have always repressed emotion and you don't want to feel them,option b is chosen. you brain just did what you wanted, not to feel emotion by choosing option b. then physical expression again triggers fear and cycle perpetuates. but the point is when physical expression is chosen, it is because it was easier way than feeling emotion.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    tgirl likes this.