1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

What I did today

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by birder, Jan 15, 2018.

1. birder

birder Well known member

I did something today that I would not have done if not for the exercises I've been working through here. It was very, very difficult. I sat down with my teen this morning and talked to him about both his feelings and my own feelings regarding the divorce and how it was fracturing our family. And I cried (we both did). I'd never cried in front of my kids before, except when our dog died. And I told him his feelings were valid and so was his pain and anger and sorrow, and that I was here for him when he needed to let it out. I think he felt better. I still have pain, but I feel better too.

Lizzy and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

That took courage, birder. What a good mom you are to him - and you're being just as good to yourself. Great work.

Lizzy and birder like this.
  3. iwire

iwire Peer Supporter

What a brave, loving and painful thing to do. I hope the relief you find in having opened your heart will move you forward in your healing--it is certainly the kind of thing that I hear often does. Sending you love and strength. . . .

birder, Lizzy and JanAtheCPA like this.
  4. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Birder,
    I am inspired by taking the think psychological to your son. May this be one of many benefits learning about tms brings your family. You're changing your world!
    Lizzy

birder and JanAtheCPA like this.
  5. birder

birder Well known member

Thank you so much for your encouragement, Jan, iwire, and Lizzy. I hope I've helped him. It just suddenly came to me that I was avoiding the elephant in the room because that's what I learned from my own childhood, where feelings weren't expressed. I've been carrying such a burden of guilt and shame around, feeling like I've failed my kids because my marriage failed. And wondering why my body seemed to be breaking down. Kind of an ah-ha moment. But still hard as hell.

Lizzy and JanAtheCPA like this.