1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

What else is there - Seriously

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by eskimoeskimo, Aug 7, 2020.

1. eskimoeskimo

eskimoeskimo Well known member

I'm not sure what you're saying

2. eskimoeskimo

Maybe

3. Kozas

Kozas Well known member

I feel you eskimo, I'm kinda hopeless too. But I decided to give TMS last chance. I'm gonna be vigilant 24h 7 days in a week, and keep my thoughts at bay. I'm gonna do it for a whole year. If this not gonna help me, then I will cease to do any TMS related things, and go to medical doctors to help me at least with my symptoms. I fully believe my problems are from TMS, but it is what it is. I will try to fake it till I make it, and be all the time conscious about my thoughts just like RogueWave said. I know you already tried it, and it didn't helped... did you try meditations from book I sugested?

4. Tms_joe

Tms_joe Well known member

Try reading it again. It probably seems too radical to apply it in your life. That’s not true.

Doesn’t it make sense that the actual answer to all of this would be strange and hard to understand? You’d have found it and moved on if it were easy.

I meant what I said. You will not get better until you digest that and apply it. I’ve lived it. I recognize in you what was in me.

5. Tms_joe

Tms_joe Well known member

You contradicted yourself. You’re already forming the game plan for when the TMS approach fails. Therefore you do not fully believe your problems are from TMS.

You can’t keep your thoughts at bay. Trying will strengthen them. You can however realize they mean absolutely nothing.

This is it people. This is how you “try” for years and years but it just “doesn’t work.” Or even worse “it doesn’t work for ME because I’m special.” The whole problem is what you believe. There is nothing “to do” with TMS. Nothing at all. Every time I’d get freedom from my RSI pain as I was In the home stretch I’d laugh at that. The realization I didn’t need to do ANYTHING. It’s an understanding. A realization.

All the “ if this, then I’ll do this” is the actual problem for most. Instead everyone would like you to wake up to the fact that there is no problem. Most of your problems in life are mind generated. Ever noticed how it appears other people can live a life of very similar circumstances, but they seem happy?

I apologize in advance if this rubs people the wrong way. I feel like this type of explanation would have really accelerated healing in myself if it came from someone I respected.

tag24, Balsa11, RogueWave and 3 others like this.
  6. Kozas

Kozas Well known member

I know only one person with similar circumstances that seems happy. Myself. Everybody in my life(except maybe my mom) thinks I'm extremely happy, yet I'm very unhappy inside. I have no doubt that many people I know that on outside seems happy, are unhappy too.

That's just Polyanna and/or living in la-la land. There are problems, for example pain. Pain is one of my problems. It doesn't matter that it's because of TMS, it still hurts, it still makes my quality of life much lower than it could be. How can you say it's not a problem? It's very condenscending.

I didn't contradict myself. I said I believe in TMS, but I don't believe fully in my ability to deal with it. So instead my backup plan is just to try and deal with symptoms.

7. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

@hodini 's take on outcome independence on this thread is mind-blowing!

https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/outcome-independence-the-sneaky-problem.16424/ (Outcome Independence: the sneaky problem)

"
    Jargon, when used in describing medical conditions can be very frustrating. I have asked Alan about the meaning of outcome independence as I feel it puts all of the onus on the practitioner and none on the theory. If I remember right, he came back with an equally difficult to understand term "authentic indifference" Which he never explained when I mentioned that it was not in my lexicon.

To put it simply, I just do not see how the insistence of being able to "not care about ones pain" not to be an unrealistic goal to set for ones self. No matter what one does, it is hard to deny the certainty that at one point in their lives they will experience pain that they care about.

The cares are real and normal responses to ones body condition. Once pain is experienced it is normal to wonder how long it will last. It is normal based upon ones view of friends and associates to have expectations of approximate times that one should feel better even if they do happen on a graduating scale.

By having a goal to just "not care about the pain", for some people it can lead to a lot of self blaming which if I am hearing you correctly is a "mind prison". That is a very good term for it. If part of the issue with people who have TMS is a perfectionist personality, to give them the unrealistic expectation to ultimately not be able to "care" about their pain just enables and enhances the striving for perfection in this regard. I have mentioned this several times, and yet no one has addressed it.

For most people, even those I have read here who believe they have TMS, pain is of a transient nature. When I read that someone has "not cared " about their pain and it disappeared, I never hear it mentioned that quite a bit of pain disappears by itself.

It appears that the not caring about the pain then also includes not caring about the idea that their pain may have just resolved by itself as most does in our natural kingdom and miraculous bodies.

Forgetting these simple facts can easily leave one with a feeling of hopelessness. In your case it appears to be extreme and concerning. "

8. Balsa11

Living from the heart :) Much less scary than outcome independence and digging, for sure!

BloodMoon likes this.
  9. eskimoeskimo

It doesn't seem radical, it seems woo woo. You know the "TRUTH" and I don't, I'm too afraid to accept the "TRUTH"

10. eskimoeskimo

I hate it when people say 'you're not broken, you just thing you are' 'there's no problem, you just think there is.' Pain is a problem, obviously. Everyone knows this. Nobody wants to be in pain. Nobody doesn't mind being in pain. Pain is perfectly designed by evolution to bother you. That's its whole point. I'm only on this damn forum because I want the pain to stop. If trying to treat it with less concern and fear is a way to get better, fine. But that doesn't mean pain isn't a problem. It has destroyed my quality of life.

Balsa11 likes this.
  11. Balsa11

The woo is just being patient and being consistent. Everything else is not getting sucked into the fear, or trying too hard, beating yourself up, or giving up as frequently. It's not a set philosophy but having a positive relationship with yourself, your mind, and your body.

12. eskimoeskimo

Not to mention that chronic pain is damaging to one's health generally. That's a problem.

13. Balsa11

Yeah just treat it with less fear

14. eskimoeskimo

Everyone on here is saying something different while pretending they're all on the same page, advocating for the same theory of pain. This is a mess.

15. Balsa11

It's not an urgent life or death situation but you do have to make an effort to address it in a long term well being sense.

16. eskimoeskimo

Nearly 600 posts on this thread and I'm only more confused than ever

Balsa11 likes this.
  17. eskimoeskimo

Apparently there is something to do, since most people don't get better from chronic pain, even if that just means having or accepting this "realization" you're talking about

18. eskimoeskimo

How are you supposed to get this 100% belief you talk about? Believing that 2 + 2 = 4 is not a choice or a leap of faith, it presents as self evident. I don't want to get into a whole philosophical discussion about what that means, but nothing about TMS is self evident.

19. Balsa11

Different things work for people. People think and feel differently.

20. Balsa11

It's not about what percentage you believe, it's about making sure that you believe in yourself as much as you can.