1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

What do you do when you Cant handle the pain?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by twocups88, Jun 18, 2020.

1. twocups88

twocups88 Well known member

I am in the worst pain of my life. It's crazy. I feel like passing out. Its just so hard. Any advice?

2. Marls

Marls Well known member

Hi Twocups, I call this “exquisite” pain because nothing compares to it. I find it a bit like being insane and sane at the same time.
    I have emergency Atavan and 1/4 tab settles my reaction. You can actually deal with the pain, I find it’s my blasted reaction to the pain, anger and frustration, that blows my mind and a thrice yearly Atavan is enough to tip the scales. Sometimes I even say “if you don’t settle down I’ll take an Atavan”.
    I also do somatic tracking but instead of just observing I stare the pain down. As in STARE at it. Crikey I reckon even the devil would back off from my stare. And that works for me.
    I know sometimes it feels just so hard, but keep turning stones - your answer is under one of them. Cheers marls

Baseball65 and plum like this.
  3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Yeah. Even Sarno said he didn't do anything for extreme pain except prescribe a strong painkiller, and tell the person NOT to expect to stay that way... try to relax and keep checking your ability to move, get up.

I would add to that; Immediately start inventorying all of the enraging things that were going on when that intense attack began.

Pain is the symptom, not the problem. As soon as you possibly can, start looking at the problem

plum and Tennis Tom like this.
  4. twocups88

Thanks Baseball. I still don't know if I have TMS though. They say my bladder lining is damaged and I have Interstitial Cystitis. Felt a little better these past couple of days but still hurts. Can be very painful.

5. Baseball65

Here's some 'cross over' stuff. I don't know what Cystitis is but I too have some 'physical' stuff.

I have a lump on my belly right under my sternum. it showed up after I hit the ground HARD sledding down a hill and getting some air (the sled disintegrated on the landing...awesome fun!) But I hit my belly hard and that's when I noticed the lump. Went to the Dr. for something else and had him look at it. He said it was a fat tumor and his buddy could remove it but they have a tendency to come back... so I left it there. I have noticed that same lump in a lot of men my age (50's-60's)

I had previously been diagnosed as needing my gall bladder out. It was a gross feeling like electricity in my sternum just to the right of the tumor guy. Not having a spare 10K lying around I decided to leave it be in spite of my Dr. warning me that it could cause a fatal infection in my pancreas. Pretty scary. None the less, I cut out fatty foods as that seemed to be the trigger. I also read online and found that many people have it removed BUT STILL HAVE THE SYMPTOMS (hello TMS)

So... I I am really dehydrated or stressed out or both I sometimes get a gross feeling , like I need to double over. It ONLY comes under stress. What else would somebody with my history think? TMS. It is also funny that my body chose a benign tumor location to give me strange symptoms.... Sarno discussed the body's concerted ability to choose an 'anomaly' to start TMS.

It all seems to be bunched up in that little area. I DO some physical stuff like not eating pork or beef much, limiting my mayonnaise and Margarine intake. But it would be idiotic of me to ignore that it always Bugs me during stressful times.

Who is right? I don't know. Maybe I am fooling myself. Maybe I'll be one of those story's you read in the human interest section "What a dumbsh#t! Didn't listen to his Doctor and ended up dying of _____"

But since my life was effectively over at age 32 , all of this has been so much gravy... a gift from god via Sarno and Franz Alexander and company. I haven't ever been particularly careful since reading Sarno. It would almost be hypocritical of me to start now. From a jamesian pragmatic point of view, I am at least consistent in my hypocrisy (LOL)

Read a great quote from a 70 year old doctor working on the front line of Covid. "Yes, ships are safer in harbor, but ships were designed to sail the sea"

sail on sailor

plum likes this.
  6. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

You are anything but a dumbsh*t. I know you make this comment in jest but even so it would be remiss of me not to say that actually you’re a touchstone for courage, resilience and fierce compassion.

Love that quote. Let’s live while we’re alive.

7. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Angel, my husband had the worst cystitis I’ve ever known last year (blood, weeing in the bath, the whole ugly marlarky). It was Christmas and there was no chance of seeing a doctor but we managed to get emergency antibiotics. Twice. Didn’t help at all.

So I turned to my tried and tested remedy of cranberry, both juice and tablets. He was better within a day and has never suffered since. Was it the cranberry? Was it placebo? Was it figuring out who and what had pissed him off? Maybe a bit of all of them.

The body heals. Sometimes we need to tandom a touch of physical remedies with our TMS work and this is ok. Do what you need to do to get out of suffering BUT do the emotional too.

8. twocups88

Wow thank you for your wisdom. I have had depression, anxiety, addiction, and suffering for over fifteen years. I still don't know how to be happy or make myself happy and this cystitis just makes things worse. I have to keep reading about all this and put it into practice. Thanks again.

9. twocups88

Im glad he is better. Cranberry tends to make my bladder hurt worse.

10. Marls

Marls Well known member

Try googling D-Mannos for bladder issues twocups. I had pretty much every type of antibiotics over 10 years and D-Mannos knocked it over in two days and nothing since. Cheers marls

11. twocups88

Thats awesome Marls. I will look into it. Thank you

12. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

I had stomach pain for many months in the late '90s. They did an ultrasound and put it down to some small gallstones and I was told that such small, sharp stones could travel into my bile duct and cause severe damage. While I was on a waiting list for my gallbladder to be removed (I'm in the UK and there tends to be a long waiting list for any elective surgery, even pre covid-19, on our National Health System) the pain subsided, so I bottled out of having the surgery, having read that some people go a whole life time with a gallbladder full of gallstones without experiencing any trouble (their full gallbladder only being discovered post-mortem with them dying for reasons not related to their gallbladder)...

Fast forward to 2016 and I suddenly experienced absolutely excruciating right-sided gut pain in the region of my gallbladder and liver, with vomiting and then dry vomiting and watery diarrhoea that lasted for 15 solid hours. The docs put this all down to a "gallbladder attack" and once again put me on a waiting list for surgery to remove my gallbladder (by then another ultrasound showed that I have a large gallstone about 3cm by 3cm or so plus I was experiencing chronic right-sided stomach pain after the attack) but, once again, I chickened out of the operation. I decided not to have the surgery even though they told me that my large gallstone was "trouble" and better to have my gallbladder out now rather than later in an emergency situation with an infected pancreas. (The surgeon I saw was visibly and genuinely astonished that I had had a gallstone since the 90s and had survived without needing surgery.) I too, however, had read on the Internet that many people still have symptoms (if not caused by TMS, caused by damage done during the surgery) and it worried me that the bile - in a diluted form - gets released in a constant 'drip, drip' fashion into the stomach after surgery, which doesn't sound good, whereas when you have a gallbladder the bile is released only when fatty food arrives in the gut at which point the gallbladder squeezes concentrated bile into the stomach to digest the fats...I expect you read all about this too.

Maybe I'll end up having to have my gallbladder removed as an emergency and be in a bad state when I do and regret not having gone ahead with the surgery earlier, but I suspect that my symptoms have been either TMS and, in the case of the 15 hour severe stomach pain, probably a virus...It's far too 'odd' that by the time I'd got near to the top of the list for the surgery my symptoms stopped. I think that my brain was more terrified of the surgery than it was of whatever it was frightened of and warning me about in the first place when it gave me stomach pain in an area of my body where I might believe there was a structural cause, i.e. once I knew about my gallstones.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  13. HattieNC

HattieNC Well known member

I had my gallbladder removed 9 years ago. Laparoscopic outpatient surgery. Easy peasy, I think I took 3 days off from work. I don't have to watch my diet and I have no lasting negative effects. Please don't read the horror stories about gallbladder surgery on the Internet. Most of my friends and family have had it done (Southerners and their love of fried food) and all have been successful surgeries. If you decide to have it done, find a good surgeon that is someone you trust. FYI- My sister-in-law has preexisting heart issues and can't have gallbladder surgery so she does a "flush" several times a year. They sell them in the health food store. She's been doing it at least a decade and swears by it.

14. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Hi BloodMoon, just a quick note in case I missed something...you said your pain was on the left side of your abdomen. Your gallbladder is on the right side. The left is where your spleen is. I had pains on both sides when I was sick. Both were likely structural when I had mono, but inconsistent MBS during the 1.5 years after. I had a doctor tell me to consider getting my gallbladder removed due to some pain, even though the ultrasound only revealed "sludge" and no stones. Everybody is different, but like you said, if the pain is inconsistent, that's a great sign of MBS.

15. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

So sorry, ssxl4000 - I'm such an idiot :rolleyes: - I meant right side, not left side (blame it on the brain fog due to my hypothyroidsim!). I've corrected my original posting now; I'm glad you pointed it out. Something else that's inconsistent with my gallbladder being the culprit of my so called 'gallstones attack' in 2016 and the pain that I had in my stomach (right side and sometimes central) back in the '90s was that eating fats never made the pain any worse and never seemed to trigger the pain off either; also, the 15 hours of excruciating pain in 2016 started after eating carbohydrates. Something that did seem to help though, when experiencing the stomach pain in the '90s, was drinking apple juice (which I can no longer have as it gives me pains in my colon) and eating radishes (which I am still able to enjoy in a salad). My 'structural' theory at the time was that I might have low stomach acid, which seemed to be confirmed when I did a baking soda test (which is only a rough indication of whether stomach acid might be low...How To Test If You Have Adequate Stomach Acid Levelsthedempsterclinic.com › adequate-stomach-acid-levels). I've not tried to do anything about possibly having low stomach acid though as I've not had any stomach pain to speak of for many years now. Here's to you and I continuing to remain abdominal pain free!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  16. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Yay for no stomach pains! Indeed, my gallbladder area pains were also odd. Sometimes they came after a fatty meal, other times not. I did the baking soda test a bunch too. Every time I never burped, so zero stomach acid so the theory goes. I thought that was responsible for my indigestion and adjusted my diet accordingly (easy on heavy foods, used lemon and an acid supplement when eating my meat, etc.). However, none of it helped. What I really started noticing was timing with my symptoms. I could eat a 400 calorie bowl of cereal for lunch and get raging indigestion, then eat an 800 calorie burrito and chips for dinner and feel fine. It was all related to timing as I was generally much more relaxed at the end of the day than the middle.

Anyway, TMS treatment made everything much better, so yay for our continued health!

BloodMoon likes this.
  17. Baseball65

My Son had three doctors examine him, a hundred and four degree fever and pain in his lower abdomen that was excruciating (he's not a whiner... I once pulled a stick out of his leg with a razor knife at home. Warrior mindset)

anyways....one doctor demanded an MRI. I thought he was an IDIOT and I wanted to kill him for wasting time while my son was sick and in pain,and 3 other fully qualified MD's were certain his appendix needed to go....

... and he was right (Damn)... His appendix was fine. He had an intestinal blockage and infection in his lower intestine.

Now... If he'd had his appendix out, they would have put him on antibiotics as a follow up anyways, which would have nailed the intestinal infection... so it made me wonder how many people have had their appendix out needlessly?

Learning new stuff all the time! Isn't life fun? Imagine how boring it would be without all these little drama's?

BloodMoon likes this.