1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

What Brought Pain on In A Certain Point In Your Life

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Jacqui9, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Jacqui9

Jacqui9 Peer Supporter

I'm curious if anyone can track what brought your pain on at a certain point in your life. I'm 69. I had a neglectful, emotionally abusive childhood and have been a perfectionist, goodist, etc. for most of my life. My pain didn't start until November of 2015. There was nothing at that particular time in my life that was more stressful than any other time in my life, my childhood of course did not change and my personality did not change. So I'm asking myself why then. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

For my second major bout with TMS, I know exactly what brought it on. It was
    March 2011. My Dad had just died in January, all librarians in the district were about to lose their jobs, and I had just spent Spring Break on a family commitment that i wasn't very happy about. The day after Break, when I was set to return to work, I got out of bed and crashed to the ground because the pain in my feet was so intense. It took almost 2 years before I made the TMS connection, and for part of that time I was in a wheelchair. I'm delighted to have my life back!

3. Jacqui9

Jacqui9 Peer Supporter

Hi Gigi,

Thank you for your response. I'm so sorry you had to deal with all of that. I'm so glad you found TMS and have your life back.

4. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Of course, hindsight is 20/20. At the time I knew I was stressed out, but didn't see the link between the foot pain and the stress.
    Sarno says we don't need to discover the "why" so much as learn to dialog with our subC and tell it to cease and desist.
    Blessings to you!

5. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Jacqui, I didn't have a specific trigger either. But, I think I had a mid-level depression / anger / resentment that brewed for two years following a dissolved work relationship. The TMS attack came two years after the break. I got through that one (pudendal) by accepting that it was TMS 100%. But, I didn't do the necessary emotional work and changes. Then, I got actual shingles in Feb and still have nerves from that.
    I have really felt the anxiety with this one and as Claire Weeks points out: the fear - adrenaline - fear cycle.

I'm 59 and noticed you're 69. Sarno also wrote about the rage of getting older and all the bodily differences that come with it. I feel like my issues are kind of tied into the momentous feeling of being in a new decade.

6. Jacqui9

Jacqui9 Peer Supporter

MW,

Thank you for your response. I'm just confused that I've had all the same issues for quite awhile so am having trouble figuring out why it is happening now and coming on so strongly.

I understand that aging can be a stressor but I know people my age and older that are enjoying this time of their life as I was until this happened.

The fear and anxiety (and of course pain) are the biggest issues for me now. I've also just realized that my SNS is very out of control compared to my PNS.

I had shingles also and certainly can understand the nerve pain and hope it will resolve for you soon.

Again, thank you for your response.

Jacqui

MWsunin12 likes this.