1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

What are your favourite spiritual books?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mike2014, Dec 6, 2014.

1. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi All,

I just wanted to find out what everyone's favourite spiritual books are, so thought I would start a thread on the topic.

Thanks

Mike

Sienna and tigerlilly like this.
  2. Peggy

Peggy Well known member

I like Autobiography of a Yogi. Before Steve Jobs passes away he arranged that everyone coming to his funeral got a copy of this book. I also liked Living with the Himalayan Masters and any book by Pema Chodron. I am also a fan of Eckhart Tolle. I read the Gandi's autobiography last year and found it much more revealing than the movie.

What are your favs Mike?

Sita and Sienna like this.
  3. mike2014

Hi Peggy, I haven't actually read any so far, so was hoping for some pointers/tips. I purchased an Eckhart Tolle book last week on a recommendation by Walt. I'll definitely explore Autobiography of a Yogi. Thanks for your suggestion.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Mike, a great idea to post about our favorite spiritual reading.

Number One for me is The Bible. Open it just about anywhere, especially
    in the New Testament, and it has wisdom by which to walk closer with God.

Books on the lives of the saints are also great. So are movies and documentaries about them.

5. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Both of Eckhart Tolle's books (Power of Now and A New Earth), and Loving What Is by Byron Katie

Sienna likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Ellen, two of my favorites.

7. chickenbone

chickenbone Well known member

My favorite is Guy Finley's Letting Go.

Sienna likes this.
  8. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Related to TMS, I highly recommend Soul Without Shame, by Byron Brown which explores the inner critic in great depth, and some techniques for disengaging.

A great book from a great teacher re general spirituality is The Open Path by Elias Amidon. I also like, very much The Unfolding Now by A.H. Almaas, particularly the first half or so. Both books explore how we can stop interfering with what is arising, and how to handle ourselves with compassion when we do interfere. In this way, these approaches, I think, address TMS. These books encapsulate the "highest" teachings by embodied masters in language that is available.

Thanks for asking!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  9. mike2014

Hi All,

A big thank you for posting your faves :)

10. tigerlilly

tigerlilly Well known member

My favorite spiritual book is the Bible. My favorite spiritual book that compliments the Bible, is the book "What Does the Bible Really Teach?" I'm all about knowing truth.
    If Dr. Sarno says that "knowledge is the penicillin to healing TMS," then I feel that way about the Bible. I want to have accurate knowledge.

You can download and read the book for free here: http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/bible-teach/

11. Ollin

Ollin Peer Supporter

I don't think I have a favourite one, used to read lots of them - mainly on Buddhism, meditation and then Earth spiritualities - a few years ago, before TMS struck. Hmmm, makes me think. I'm less of a book worm in general these days, but get plenty of self-development emails which occasionally carry some value. Yesterday while processing some daily stress, I opened one talking about reincarnation and immediately my pain subsided. I didn't before pay much attention to this topic, but it's curious how healing a more spiritual mindframe can be.

Sienna and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  12. mike2014

Thanks again everybody for your input.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  13. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

Of course I agree with Walt about the Bible - I am a committed Christian, so I read it every day. Apart from that, here are some spiritual books which also have helped me on my journey of inner healing and emotional wholeness. I have actually read them (some several times!) so I can genuinely recommend them! :)

'Sacred Rhythms: Arranging Our Lives for Spiritual Transformation' by Ruth Haley Barton

'Invitation to Solitude and Silence' by Ruth Haley Barton

'Abba's Child: The Cry of the Heart for Intimate Belonging' by Brennan Manning

'Loved Like Never Before: Discovering the Father Heart of God' by Ken Symington

'The Grace Outpouring: Blessing Others Through Prayer' by Roy Godwin

'Shame and Grace: Healing the Shame We Don't Deserve' by Lewis B. Smedes

'Spiritual Direction: Wisdom for the Long Walk of Faith' by Henri Nouwen

'In the House of the Lord: The Journey from Fear to Love' by Henri Nouwen

'Rescue from Rejection (The Truth and Freedom Series)' by Denise Cross

'One of a Kind: A Biblical View of Self-Acceptance' by M. Blaine Smith

'Hind's Feet on High Places' an allegory by Hannah Hurnard

'Unlocking the Heart of the Artist' by Matt Tommey

'How to Say No and Live to Tell About It' by Mary M. Byers

'The Fantasy Fallacy: Exposing the Deeper Meaning Behind Sexual Thoughts' by Shannon Ethridge

'The Lost Art of Meditation: Deepening Your Prayer Life' by Sheila Pritchard

'Blessing Your Spirit' by Sylvia Gunter and Arthur Burk

Anyway, that should give you a few ideas to get you started! ;) All of these books are written by Christian authors, so I understand that people of other faith backgrounds may not be interested. Even so, some of them have suggestions that may be useful for anyone - for instance, 'How to Say No and Live to Tell About It' is primarily about setting boundaries and knowing your priorities.

14. Aware 1

Aware 1 Newcomer

I like the power of now by eakhart tolle but there is a new absolutely brilliant book by Astrol Albinus. 'What You Dont Know You Dont Know'. Its so wonderfully practical