1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

What about positive memories and emotions?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by AC45, Sep 7, 2016.

1. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Hi Everyone,

I wish you all deep encouragement in your route to recovery.

I've had anxiety and RSI in my hands for the last 5 months. Before then, I did not have any of these issues.

The hands are better. I keep working. The anxiety still lingers.

So much of the TMS recovery program is focused on the painful memories.

I feel like I've gone into a bit of a hole going over all of these negative things.

There are many good things about my childhood, my past, my present and my future.

At what point do you turn it around and say, okay, enough! I want to be happy?

Any ideas for some balance here?

Thx,
    AC

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

The general guidance by Sarno was not to spend more than about an hour a day working on TMS. The rest of the time should be spent living your life and finding as much joy and happiness as possible.

Best wishes in your journey, and welcome to the Forum!

Steve J. likes this.
  3. Steve J.

Steve J. Well known member

Ellen is dead on. Once the obsession fades, so, too, will the pain and anxiety. The healing process is incredibly subtle in my experience.

MrNiceGuy and Ellen like this.
  4. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Thank you for the perspective!

5. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Thank you Steve!

6. AC45

AC45 Well known member

So, focusing on good stuff and choosing happiness is something I feel like I need to do at this point. The anxiety has been waking me up in the early am and it's getting old! I am journaling, going to weekly therapy and especially appreciating Claire Weeke's book "Hope and help for your nerves" as well as Panic Away. Fortunately both the hand pain and anxiety have gotten @ 80% better since the initial onset.

7. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

If I'm remembering correctly, Claire Weeks is the one who suggests that when we can let go of our obsession with the negative feelings and pain, we will heal. I found her books very helpful.
    I believe that our attitude is a deciding factor in how happy and to some extent how healthy we are. On days that I feel my worst, I start listing "grateful"s. I'm always amazed at how many I can produce!

8. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Thank you Gigi! Great comments.

9. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Peace in Every Step by Thich Nhat Hanh has been very helpful for me to regain a positive perspective while continuing to work through the pain.