1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

What a life without TMS would mean to me

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by laurasgt, Mar 4, 2016.

1. laurasgt

laurasgt Newcomer

Dear fellow TMS friends,

Like everyone here, I'm incredibly grateful for Dr. Sarno defying traditional medicine to provide us the answers for healing. My back pain started in 2006, 18 months into my legal nightmare - what would eventually become 5 lawsuits in 10 years (all related to one piece of property). I had my daughter in 2004, so when the back pain started, I assumed it was from loose ligaments or a weak back. I had the "big back episode" in 2007 (a pain so bad I couldn't move). And for 10 years following, I would have an increasing number of acute back pain episodes. Six months after settling the final lawsuit in fall 2014, I developed Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. That held my attention for almost all of that year into 2015, while my back continued to make repeated spasms. This January 2016, I had another major back spasm, but I didn't bounce back like I usually did. The episode left me with a dinner plate-sized low back ache that wouldn't go away. I went back to the drawing board, even creating a "Back Strategy" which included the usual suspects: chiropractic care, a number of visits with surgeons, alternative therapies like stem cell and prolotherapy, PT, etc. Somehow, as I was looking at books on Egoscue (another back pain therapy), I found Dr. Sarno's Mind Over Back Pain. I read it all two nights ago and I realized I was a classic case. The next day, my back spasmed like crazy throughout the day (mild ones, thankfully), but I kept using the techniques Dr. Sarno prescribed and I got the courage to go for a bike ride yesterday, something I haven't felt able to do in several years. I know what a life without TMS would mean to me because I have already started to experience it - I cried on the bike from the joy of having my life back, of having a plausible answer to my chronic pain when there was none. Thank you to this forum and thank you, Dr. Sarno. I'm three days into my recovery, but I'm 100% convinced of my return to a normal life.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, laura. A lengthy law suit can cause TMS, that's for sure. You might have read about Steve Ozanich, author of The Great Pain Deception, about his cure from multiple aches . He had to endure a long law suit when he sued two doctors and a hospital for malpractice that nearly killed his wife. It's one of the best books about TMS healing.

I'm so glad you are riding your bike again, despite any pain. Steve says that playing golf despite the pain helped heal him.

3. Spagolli74

Spagolli74 New Member

Years ago, I read Sarno's book and started jogging despite my back pain. It ended my mind's trick and I the pain subsided like magic. Resume your normal life. Stop doing therapy and all this stupid stuff that doesn't work. Accept the diagnosis and believe the pain is coming from your mind and you will get better! Good luck!!