1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Went to hospital... Opinions please

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by scottyboy8, Mar 29, 2015.

1. scottyboy8

scottyboy8 Peer Supporter

Hi all,

I went to the hospital as I was having a bad day (questioning that it may be structural damage and very angry with the smallest things). I tried to put my shoe on to go to the shops and I got radiating pain that I haven't had since I first read the books.

I went to the hospital and met an orthopedist, he straightened my leg and said I should have an MRI to see if I have a disc problem. I told him that I don't believe that a disc problem could result in this pain. He transferred me to a neurologist who asked me questions about myself (fears, obsessive compulsive behaviour, shortness of breath). I answered him and said that is what I believe too but I think the biggest issue is that I have repressed anger, he just ignored that comment really and kept talking about anxiety. Anyway he lay me on my back and pushed against my legs to test for weakness and stuff, which he said was all okay. Anyway he prescribed me with some drugs and told me to go back and see him next week.

I was just looking for peoples opinions on this. I know Dr. Sarno was against medication but should I at least try it?

The drugs he gave me are:

Lexapro
    Propanolol
    Deanxit
    Alprazolam

Any help appreciated. Thanks, Scott

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I never took any of those drugs, but it seems to me you don't need four drugs or maybe any at all.
    Dr. Sarno says it's okay to take some medication to relieve extreme pain, but not to let it take the place
    of believing the pain is from TMS, repressed emotion(s) or a perfectionist or "goodist" personality.

A neighbor saw her GP about back pain and she gave her a grocery bag full of pills and told her
    to take what she thought was needed. Doctors get paid from pharmaceutical companies to push that stuff.
    I would think more than twice about taking any of those four medications you were given.

Read up about them on the Internet, see what others say about them.

Scotty, focus as much as you can on TMS causing your pain. If you haven't begun it yet,
    I urge you to begin the Structural Education Program, free in the subforum at TMSWiki.
    It's led a lot of people to healing.

3. scottyboy8

Hi Walt,

Many thanks for your help.

I have read up about them and of course they do come with their side-effects. However, I am willing to try anything so will take them for a week to see if I see any improvement.

I do believe that this will only treat the pain though and will not cure it, so I agree with you wholeheartedly that I need to do the SEP to cure this pain.

4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

No he was not against medications. Short term use of small amounts of anti-depressants have been found helpful in studies regarding "back-pain".

5. rabbit

rabbit Peer Supporter

Read up on meds but don't go internet crazy over them :) . Maybe talk to your regular gp if you have one ? Someone who knows you better.

6. scottyboy8

Just a quick update for anyone who is interested...

After 3 days on the meds, the pain has 100% gone compared to the 95% from reading Dr. Sarno's books. I think this reinforces that the pain is psychosomatic as I can't imagine that beta blockers, anti-depressants and xanax would have a positive effect if the pain was from a structural abnormality.

This is honestly the best thing that could have happened to me as I feel that it reinforces that the pain is from TMS.

I will go back to see the neurologist on Saturday morning, and he said that if the medication worked then he will give me a 6-month prescription (which I'm wary about). I may say that I want to have some psychotherapy to help get rid of the pain instead of the medication as I am scared of side-effects.

Thanks for listening guys,
    Scott x

Lizzy likes this.
  7. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Scott, that is indeed good news! I love when something gives the game away! I look forward to hearing as more and more good comes yoir way!

8. priaash

priaash New Member

Hi
    Kind of same incident happened to me . Last week I got a viral fever and after that I got a tms attack and my back muscles went in spasm. But I believed in tms attack took some strong pian killers for two days and then my muscles cams to normal now I have some stiffness but managing it .... be strong on what you believe and think from tms angle.....

Lizzy likes this.
  9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Scott, it's great that your pain went away,
    but I think it was from believing 100 percent in TMS causing it.
    I would stop taking the medication and see how you feel.
    Your subconscious needs to really believe that YOU BELIEVE in TMS.

10. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Congratulations on seeing the power of the mind with your recent experience!! Deep down we want to heal, and this happens by being with ourselves (like in therapy or meditation or inquiry). Your results of 95% without pain meds seems really good compared to %100 with meds. And I don't think meds over time will give you 100%, since this is psychosomatic. My point being that a little more self understanding may take care of that last 5%!!

11. scottyboy8

Thank you to everyone for your input and encouragement. This goes a long way, so believe me when I say thank you.

UPDATE:

I went back to see the doctor and told him that the pain has gone completely and he then prescribed me with more drugs for the next month. They include the following:

• Propanolol
    • Deanxit
    • Tryptanol
    • Norgesic
    • Sertraline
    • Naproxen

However, I have decided that I will not use these medications as I believe the side-effects will outweigh that extra 5% in the long run. I will start the SEP (properly this time) and hopefully will get back to full health soon. If the SEP doesn't work then I shall seek psychotherapy.

P.S. I complained about clicking and popping noises in hip and the doctor made my legs do some movements then diagnosed me with degeneration of the hip joint. I told him I believe that this too is a psychosomatic symptom (symptom imperative) and then he said "Yes it may just be tendonitis of the hip joint". Anyway, I go back at the beginning of next month and will get an MRI on the lower back, leg and hip. I can't wait to tell him I haven't taken his meds as when I told him I have had pain for 2 years and never seen anyone about it and have only read books he said "Are you doctor?" haha.

I look forward to hopefully writing more good stuff here in future, and again thank you for all of your help and advice.

Scott x

Peggy likes this.
  12. Markus

Markus Guest

Hi Scottyboy 8,
    I'm happy you found out that these medications made you aware how much a part of your mind the issues are. I actually just came across this and thought on no, some of those meds are highly addictive. As I go through this journey, I thought I had cured my anxiety,WRONG! you made the right choice. Good for you!

Mark~