1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Weirded out by other symptoms but can't get rid of the ankle pain...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by aces0730, Oct 7, 2015.

1. aces0730

aces0730 Peer Supporter

I have pain in just one spot on my ankle and although there were days that it went away, it looks like it's back. I know this isn't a quick fix but yesterday I had elbow pain, I told it to go the heck away, I had shoulder pain I told it to leave me the hell alone. I say this to my ankle and NOTHING. It's almost maddening. Like I said, I've had a few days of being pain free here and there. I am trying to say to it go away, you need to leave me alone I'm journaling and getting my rage out. I guess it's about the journey, I just want to be painfree. I've been doing the eliptical, although I didn't go to the gym tonight as I only got 4 hours sleep. I guess I'm all over the place. I feel like I'm all over the place....

beachgirl likes this.
  2. armchairlinguist

armchairlinguist Peer Supporter

Those ankles, man, they just don't listen! Mine doesn't either...although these days it can be better or worse, it's rarely really gone. It sounds like it's still hooking you in emotionally, because you so much want to be painfree, it can distract you just by existing. Sometimes giving it any attention other than "oh that TMS, well, going to go back to what I was doing" can be too much.

I haven't figured out the key for me, but if I do I'll share it. :)

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Yep, that's a pretty good one. Also, tuning in to the negative self-talk. What is the negative message your brain is giving you at the moment you are worrying about the pain? Listen to those messages, and replace them with something that is constructive and positive - whatever works for you. The classic one being "there is nothing wrong with my ankle, so even if it hurts, I can do whatever I want because I can't damage it".

Another replacement activity might be to visualize the other ankle, and how it doesn't hurt, and translate that sense of no pain over to the first ankle. This is similar to the mirror-image treatment for phantom limb pain, and you can google that, it's a fascinating proof of how pain is created by the brain, not by the body part.