1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

"Weightlifters Shoulder": Is this yet another form of TMS? (specific shoulder pain)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by avik, Jan 15, 2017.

1. avik

avik Well known member

Pain on top of the shoulder joint (right on the ball)...and I think its called "weightlifters shoulder"?

I'm fairly certain it is...because virtually every pain with me is...just wondering if others have experienced this?

Its a pretty specific pain and generally only occurs immediately following an intense workout, hence my questioning it (which now that i think about it carries zero weight because TMS has been screwing with me regarding weightlifting for a decade now).

2. dharn999

dharn999 Well known member

So from my own experience, once I got over my back pain through TMS the first time I kept getting sting pain in my left shoulder whenever I worked it in any lifting motion... at the time I never connected it to TMS because it really didn't bother me... currently my back has been the issue and ironically when I workout my shoulder feels fine, this leading me to believe my shoulder pain was a TMS equivalent

3. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

I've also gotten this in the past...both of my shoulders would occasionally ache at the beginning of a workout. Interestingly this subsided the more I worked out. I also believe it was a TMS equivalent...works along with the blood flow theory that as I worked out more, blood flow increased to my shoulders and the pain lessened. I wouldn't worry about it!

Alfredoflrs likes this.
  4. SebastianM

SebastianM Peer Supporter

Hi everyone,
    I found your thread because I have shoulder pain when I do push ups and was searching for other experiences with shoulder pain. Every workout exercise which includes pushing leads to very strong pain in the front of my shoulder. The pain spreads to my breast, my arm, my fingers and my upper back.
    I know/hope that there is nothing wrong with my shoulders. Several medics did not find a problem. One said that my joints are hypermobil and instable.
    During my workout I have less pain but afterwards and 3-4 days after it I have pain what reaches from numbness and debility to stinging and squeezing pain. The complete joints feels actually very instable. It could be explained with the reduced blood flow and low oxygen level but sometimes when the pain is very strong I have doubts.
    To be honest, I have the hope that you can strenghten my trust in my shoulder. I have fear to do push ups because the pain is not controllable. I have also pain in other regions of my body but the shoulder is the strongest region. At the moment I do not have panic and I concentrate on thinking psychologically. But I am insecure if I should try to do activities like push-ups to fight against the fear. Or do I torture and overcharge my brain with the pain and give it exactly what it wants to have: deflection from my feelings and emotions.
    It would be great to hear your opinion :).

Greetings,
    Sebastian

5. MindBodyPT

Hi Sebastian,

From your description this definitely sounds like TMS. If you haven't had any trauma or other injury to your shoulders I'd suspect it strongly. It can be extremely painful! Remember that the brain learns pain patterns and likes to stick with them to distract you. Actual sensation of pain often doesn't correlate with severity of injury, especially in the case of TMS. Are you doing any TMS programs like the sep or other reading? Focus on gradually increasing your exercise as the pain diminishes, don't do it all at once and scare yourself. Remember there's nothing wrong with your body! Biomechanical explanations of pain like hypermobility don't hold up. We all have normal abnormalities like that and they don't usually cause pain.

Let me know what questions you have! Hope that helped!

6. SebastianM

Hi,
    thanks for your quick answer.

No I did not have any trauma or something like this, so TMS or in general psychosomatic is the only option :).

Yes I am doing SEP at the moment and I am in psychotherapy since 1 year and 4 months. Since I heard about TMS I recognize a big progress, especially in my psyche. Since I mostly trust in the diagnosis I am able to concentrate on the "real" problems, which are in my mind. Before I heard about TMS, anxiety, impatience, hopelessness and focussing the pain retained me from working with my feelings and emotions.

I will follow your suggestion: step by step increasing the exercise.

Your answer helped extremely. When I am insecure concerning any pain I need someone who supports my TMS diagnosis. I find this support in this forum and I am very grateful that I found it :). The SEP today (Day 15) was also very helpful. It was my first dialogue exercise. Afterwards I felt much better, stronger and convinced.

My brain starts to produce pain symptoms when I think of specific activities.
    I learned the following steps to overcome these patterns:
    - try to ignore the pain
    - focus on your mind
    - be calm and in your inner middle to really feel your needs and emotions
    - don't push yourself to hard if you are not ready to stand the pain
    - do whatever you REALLY would like to do, not what you think you should do
    BUT somestimes pain occurs when I do not expect it like the push-up thing. I made 2 times 5 push-ups. That's it. And now there's this heavy pain. But I think this situation shows me that it must be TMS. Because my brain recognizes this little activity and produces enourmes symptoms which do not correlate with the activity.
    Do you agree with me?

I think you see how insecure I am sometimes. I am convinced that I am on a good way but it's difficult and costs much energy to overcome the whole thing. The good thing is: I feel how my life quality (independent of any pain) raises because I am mostly in full awareness :)

Thanks!
    Sebastian

MindBodyPT likes this.
  7. MindBodyPT

You're on the right track! Glad you've come into awareness about all of this! The push-up pain is probably conditioning at this point, work up to it. Do some other exercise and come back to it when your pain is diminished, like you said. It is a large amount of work to overcome TMS...takes lots of active work and participation on your part.

SebastianM likes this.
  8. SebastianM

I am so grateful for your reinforcement and support, really! :)

I think I will be reliant on the support of this forum in the next time. It is a huge backing for me and it gives safety. Feeling of being understood by other people calms me down.

Thanks!

MindBodyPT likes this.
  9. SebastianM

The most difficult challenge is to trust in my body. Since yesterday I feel that the area around my shoulder joint feels weakly and numb. It seems like there is no blood in the muscles and because of this the shoulder is instable and pushes against nerves, tendons and so on. The symptoms spread till my fingers and it's annoying and anxious

In addition to that I had great success concerning my journaling and my psychotherapy. The exploration of my REAL needs and personality is in good progress and I identify excruciating parts in my life. For example my relationship... At the moment I have the need to cut these things and start a new and free live. But my pain stops me because I am afraid of being alone because of my psychological and physical characteristics. I need and want to find myself. I am on a good way but there is still much insecure in me. The change between being convinced and worrying is like a sinus curve :D. The findings and the connected emotions are extremly strong and my mood switches rapidly between anger, sadness, depression, love, happyness, hope and agression.

There is a clearly connection between my pain and my emotions/feelings. I am full of hope but the fight against pain focus is very wearing :(.
    Do you have experiences with exercises like breathing techniques and can you recommend some to me?

Greetings
    Sebastian

10. SebastianM

Hi William,
    thanks four your response.

This is right, it's terrible. At the moment I realize that my pain is able to deviate my attention from my feelings. I hate this state..

I agree with you. I do not take pain killers and I do not think about taking them. But I need a technique to overcome the difficult moments to get through my day. I love my new myself but the pain separates me from it :(.

Greetings Sebastian

11. SebastianM