1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Week 2 Day 9

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Edward, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Edward

Edward Peer Supporter

Well its amazing the places a couple of my journal entries have taken me...I really didn't know I had the capacity to cry! Im kinda feeling like not much has happened with my last couple of entries though, as they haven't seem to have bought up any intense emotion, making writing a little bit more difficult . Todays exercise asked me to ask myself if I have been overly critical about myself as of late. I am going to answer back oh yes I certainly have. Currently I been seeing myself as the slowest and most unskilled person amongst all my peers. For example at work I have constantly been making mistakes to point that I began to ask my little brother whom I work with (who has had not even half the work experience that I have had) whether or not I am doing something right. Furthermore I have been overtaken in my musical instrument (RSI) by numerous amounts of friends and...rivals. I can't help but to see myself as....unskilled in so many things that I do? I admit this post leaning towards the more negative side of my personality. At the same time I am trying to keep positive. I see this site as a place in which I can change these negative feelings hence why I am going to do my journal entries as often as I can!

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey Edward and Welcome to the Wiki,

It is good to hear that you have found the program to be helpful. I don't think journaling has to bring up intense emotions or anything, at least not everytime. The main purpose is to simply help us understand what emotions we have been repressing and what factors, stress or personality traits, have been behind our symptoms. I'm not too sure if we have to change all of our negative feelings, instead we may just need to understand that we have them. The biggest part of recvoery is accepting the diagnosis.

I like the question of Have you been overly critical of yourself lately. I think all of us, at some point, tend to beat ourselves up for not doing something well enough. It is important to remember though that behind this is our perfectionist personality traits. Part of thinking psychologically is simply understanding the role our personality traits affect our symptoms. Try writing down a list of four or five points as to why you are self-critical and how that relates to your personality. Lastly, we have to begin to accept the fact that we may not be perfect in everything we do. A lot of the emotions we repress are those that we just can't accept, such as deep anger and rage. If we recognize these emotions, and making errors, as just part of live and give ourselves a break more often, then we may begin to limit the affect being perfectionistic has on our TMS.

3. Edward

Edward Peer Supporter

Cheers for your reply Mr Forest Dude :p

Yep i will follow your advice. I was also thinking that by accepting that I am not perfect I am better able to truly appreciate other peoples talents.

4. Edward

Edward Peer Supporter

Only had time to write out a couple of points and link em. Thanks heaps for your advice haha! I feeel like I understand my self critical side that little bit more :)

5. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Hi Edward:

Welcome to the forum. I liked your first post because you were so honest. This is a good thing. Your honesty with us, means you're being honest with yourself. Forest is right - many if not most TMS'ers are perfectionists. This trait is typically established in childhood, so perhaps that would make a nice journal entry for you? Try and trace back how you became this way. Or you can try it in meditation. I have learned a lot about myself by meditating and going "backwards".

I bet you are doing just fine at your job, but since starting something new (the TMS wiki program) you're hyper-sensitive to everything else in your day. This is a lot of new information to take in at first. The trick is to "live it". That comes with time and practice, but it sounds like things are making sense to you. Good luck to you and please keep us posted on your progress.

BG