1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Weather

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Marinedad, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Marinedad

Marinedad Well known member

Who’s nerve pain gets worse when the weather changes

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  2. deafheaven

deafheaven Peer Supporter

Textbook conditioning

3. Marinedad

Yes I agree

4. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Mine did just this past week. All over nerve pain with a drop in barometric pressure.
    I've always thought that I could tell you when the weather is going to change.
    It lasted a day and a half. I was also stressed about taking a trip that I didn't want to go on.
    Interestingly, I listened to my intuition and cancelled the trip. The weather didn't change, but my nerve pain did. It went down 80%.
    This makes me happy, because I can remind myself that it's TMS conditioning.

Marinedad likes this.
  5. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Whenever I hear someone say this, I immediately know they have anxiety and/or powerful emotions, causing mind-body/TMS symptoms. In fact, I just went on a vacation with a few friends and it took so much willpower to not say so after one of my pals said they can predict the weather based on their pain levels (it wouldn't have been good timing as we traveled, and this person is simply not ready to hear that right now).

MWsunin12 likes this.
  6. Marinedad

I agree but god besides me having usually a pain fee night of sleep as soon as I wake or become continuous it’s like I turn on my painswitch for the day and it’s the same with weather even though I tell myself this is BS

7. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

I tell myself, outloud, "I am 100% willing to believe that this reaction is psychological." It helps. There is some part of our minds that is still clinging to pain or searching for symptoms. We must be at least "willing" to fully believe in TMS and tell our subconscious the same, so that it sinks in.

readytoheal and Free of Fear like this.
  8. Free of Fear

Free of Fear Well known member

Yeah I second what MWsunin said. Great insight.

Can someone explain the conditioning / psychological connection to bad weather? I'm not getting it.

9. Marinedad

It’s the same as i expect pain as soon as I wake up it’s automatic can some explain this also

10. keenie82

keenie82 Peer Supporter

I guess it is just like previous posters said. There is a post in here about a women with bladder pain that expects she will get bladder pain when she drinks. Someone else said that they conditioned themselves to be pain free before their period. Just psychological connections. For me, I know I can always sleep well at night and so I have conditioned myself that I don't notice anything and my bed is my saviour.