1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

All the Rage Film WE GOT A PRESS HIT!! Huffington Post did a story

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Caroline Rumur, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Caroline Rumur

Caroline Rumur Well known member

2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

That's fabulous news, I'm sure it will reach a huge audience with this article.

Laudisco likes this.
  3. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

More great news and a nice piece!! I left a comment at the bottom article.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Well-written article and great that it will be read by many.
    Hope Huffington does a follow-up when ALL THE RAGE is released.

5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks leaving a comment at the site, Cap'n Spanky. The article is currently on the main page of the Healthy Living section, and I bet that it is because of all of the comments it is getting. Things are really heating up on both sides with the comments.

To anyone reading this, if you get a chance, please consider posting a comment or two at the HuffPo site. There are some significant skeptics over there and the HuffPo website is data-driven, so every comment that is posted will lead them to show the article to more people. It may seem unituitive, but even the negative comments will drive up the pageview count because all the algorithm knows is that people are responding to the article. Even liking someone else's comments will help.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/17/healing-back-pain_n_6317310.html

Cap'n Spanky likes this.
  6. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

It's a terrible article from a standpoint of trying to communicate the theory and the title is pure clickbait.

Most people(myself included before HBP) would be clueless about psychology and the unconscious mind.

It is a deceptively hard concept to communicate to people who aren't desperate enough to consider it though so I can see why this could happen.

Would love to see someone produce a 2-3min animation to explain the process concisely and accurately ideally with links appearing as the video progresses. Any takers? :)
    A lot of people in comments section are reading the headline and diving straight in with ill founded reasoning that makes sense if you don't the understand process enough. Maybe some could direct them to FAQ on here?

7. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

Agree the title is not good. Saying the pain is all in your head is just gonna piss people off (along with being very misrepresentative of what Dr. Sarno actually says).

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    tarala, North Star and Forest like this.
  8. IrishSceptic

its a shame, that article has over 1000likes/250 shares on facebook. its really sad you have to be desperate to suspend your disbelief enough to get into the nuts and bolts of this concept. then you think, woah...this might actually be REAL!

9. Forest

A couple of us (mostly from this community!) have been monitoring the comments all day. We've been doing our best to tamp things down, but, despite our best efforts, some of the comments are pretty ugly. People call Dr. Sarno a quack or say that it is all about money.

The headline is pretty frustrating: "This Doctor Believes Your Back Pain Is All In Your Head." For anyone who has dealt with years of doubt from family, physicians, employers and others, their blood pressure will immediately spike. That's exactly the idea we've been fighting against for so long. And it's not at all what Dr. Sarno believes.

Trigger people and they'll click on your article, right?

I wonder if the author of the article doesn't believe in TMS. One of the questions was, "Q: Reading the testimonials on the Thank You, Dr. Sarno webpage and on Amazon, the word miracle comes up again and again. How do you respond to people who say this all seems a bit cultish?"

How do you build credibility when the author has already planted the idea in people's minds that this might be a cult?

This makes it even more important that we are restrained in our responses. If we get angry or seem at all irrational, that will play into the "cult" story and there will be more people who we could have reached but didn't reach. We've got to play our cards carefully so we don't turn off the people who are on the fence.

If you have a chance, compare the comments on this article to the comments on the Forbes article. Soooooo different.

HuffPo article:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/17/healing-back-pain_n_6317310.html
    Forbes article:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/edwards...doctor-and-his-miracle-cures-dr-john-e-sarno/

North Star likes this.
  10. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I added my success story to the comments.

And I commend Forest and Enrique, and all the others for trying to correct the misconceptions expressed in the comments. Thank you for taking the time to do that. tiphata

I added "likes" to all the comments I could, but don't have the patience and fortitude to respond to all the naysayers.

Oscar B. likes this.
  11. Ellen

This 5 minute video on Understanding Pain from Australia is really good in my opinion. It would be great to have one similar to this with links to the wiki.

mike2014 likes this.
  12. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

I'm trying my best to be restrained.... But the negativity gets to me.
    Thanks. Yeah, I had some free time this afternoon so I spent time there posting some comments. I had to restrain myself a few times and delete/rewrite before posting. Hopefully, I didn't come off too harshly or appeared overzealous. I just get angry when people post craptastic comments with little thought behind them.

13. Ellen

Yes, for some people it would require a crowbar to open their minds :)

tarala likes this.
  14. Enrique

Yep! A BIG one. :D

15. Forest

Thanks for "liking" the posts, Ellen. I think that the more likes a post gets, the more people that Facebook will show the comment to. (Even though the discussions are happening on the Huffington Post website, the HuffPo site uses a Facebook Social Plugin, like we do in various places on our site, so it's one of Facebook's algorithm that calls the shots.)

And many thanks for joining in the fray, Enrique. The negativity started to get to me as well, but I thought you did a terrific job of representing TMSers in the way that I know I would want to be represented. Every time I read one of your comments, it gave me courage to write one of my own.

If it's just a couple people responding to every post, that plays into the "cult" narrative. But if there are a number of people who tell their stories with compassion and dignity, that is the only way that we have to win hearts and minds.

I found that if I respectfully drew attention to some of the more egregious acts, it tended to change people's behavior in a positive way. Many of the worst commenters were, I think, just having fun writing negative things on the internet. Such people are often easily provoked by hostility or rudeness, but they aren't without some compassion underneath. Given that our viewpoint is such a tiny minority, our only option to improve things is to appeal to that compassion, as we did, with dignity and our own compassion.

And it seemed to really work! While there seemed to be a huge flow of negative commenters, as we interacted with them, things seemed to get better and more respectful. I feel good that if a third party, in pain, saw those threads (as many will), posts like yours did a terrific job of balancing out the credibility destroying negativity left by some of the other posters.

Ellen likes this.
  16. IrishSceptic

Its early days and the fact people have gotten so animated and analytical about this article tells me two things.

1. The people behind the project have their heart in the right place and it is in good hands.
    2. Solid laying out of anomalies in mainstream pain assumptions is what will turn the tide for doubters, some of the data just cannot be argued with. The battle is against ingrained consensus that has very weak science behind, just a "logical reasoning" basis which many of us believed in once upon a time.

People will believe what they want to believe but many desperate people in pain will have their lives transformed by this work. Keep the faith!

17. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Exactly Irish, I think even though the article hasn't had the impact we have wanted at least it has got people discussing it, there may be a % of people who may want further information, I would be interested to know if there is an increase in sale of Dr Sarnos books or registrations at this forum in the coming weeks .

You can only go as far as to plant a seed, but a person will only accept or try this approach when they have exhausted all avenues and are very desperate. I guess there may be a resistance because people don't want to hear they are the reason for there ailments, it's far easier to blame it on bad genes or an abnormalities, than to take ownership of your own health.

Unfortunately, in modern society we want everything to be faster and easier, nobody in this day and age wants to take time out to invest in themselves and heal, everyone wants the latest greatest treatment, but not understanding that even though there current ailment is cured or the surgery has been a success, the emotion is still active and will only trigger a new symptom. I would be curious to know if those people on the board experienced a SI as a result.

I think people have been conditioned/brainwashed for so long that it will be a long journey to educate the masses.

Forest and IrishSceptic like this.
  18. Enrique

Yeah, I think it's very hard to not think that a bulging disc is the problem. On the surface it makes sense. And you have the full force of the medical establishment behind that thinking. You know that it took several decades for the British navy to accept that citrus juice prevented scurvy. Thousands died on long journeys because of hardened paradigms of thought.

"It was a Scottish surgeon in theRoyal Navy, James Lind, who first proved it could be treated with citrus fruit in experiments he described in his 1753 book A Treatise of the Scurvy,[2] though his advice was not implemented by the Royal Navy for several decades."

This is similar to the slow acceptance of psychological causes of pain. it might just be me, but it does seem like we are at a tipping point regarding this.I feel like change is going to happen quickly when the right amount of catalyst in terms of acceptance is introduced.

19. Forest

Hi everyone,

I just got an email from Michael Galinsky about the article. He wanted you folks to see it:
    [​IMG]
    Forest.
    I was driving from nc to mass yesterday so I couldn't really deal with the article. I posted this to FB thread. Don't know my wiki log in so feel free to post on my behalf. I also sent a note asking them to change the headline.

Forest, Conor, Enrique, and others thanks for taking the time to respond to the comments on the article in such a thoughtful manner. While the sub-headline is deeply problematic - the article has many other problems that highlight how easily this can become such a divisive subject fraught with mis-conceptions that lead to hurt feelings and anger filled responses. I take some responsibility for not being even more careful in choosing every word with the utmost care. To be clear though we had a nearly hour long discussion - in which we discussed the issues in a very deep way. As such the context is often missing in what she chose to print.

In the end though this article is just a small bump in a well paved road

I urged the writer to read some of dr schubiner's recent posts to get the subtle context and framing of these issues. I also did not claim to speak for dr sarno. Much of what is printed comes from the discussion we had about how the film connects dr sarno's work to that of dr Clarke and dr mate in order to illustrate that the issue of the mind body connection is not just about pain- but instead all areas of our well being. As such I was not focused on teasing out the details of dr sarno's work but instead the broad connections. I have learned a good deal from how this played out and I'll continue to be careful to state things even more clearly moving forward.​

It's great to see that he is monitoring the situation and has contacted the writer. From talking with him, I can tell that he is passionate about film-making and this project in particular, just as we all are.

Enrique, IrishSceptic and mike2014 like this.
  20. IrishSceptic

I do not envy the job Micheal has at all, I guarantee some of his own friends probably think he's some some of kook!
    It's amazing when you think that people commonly reckon chiropractic adjustments can fix back pain or that bad posture is responsible. It goes back to the stigma surrounding emotion, and especially mental health because it us interpreted as a weakness rather than an actual illness that requires treatment and compassion.

mike2014 and Ellen like this.