1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Watch what "is" possible

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by lighthouse15, May 14, 2015.

1. lighthouse15

lighthouse15 New Member

First I just want to share something and I would love feedback.

The more I read about TMS, the more I realise how much of a misnomer I believe TMS is. It's beyond what we perceive it to be - it is "us". It's mind blowing when this realization sets in - but when it does, it is the catalyst for our healing. What blows my mind even more, is how difficult it is to convey this point when you "get it". Thoughts?

I also believe that the stories doing the rounds of people closing sarno's book - standing up and becoming almost simultaneously pain free (I am not doubting these examples for 1 second) are an inhibition to healing. I wish Sarno had never mentioned these particular cases in his book as me then invariably become vexed at how long it takes us to become pain free in comparison. Hence more fear and anxiety. Thoughts?

Anyway enjoy the videos below.

It is a rudimentary example of how we are conditioned to believe our backs are truly structurally "damaged". Now, I might first add that the physio in this video is world renowned (a professor). Earlier in his career (like sarno) he treated patients with back pain with physio "core" strenghtening exercises / physio stretches etc... He believed back pain was structural. This is no longer his belief and he treats patients with what he has coined as "cognitive functional therapy" - e.g. telling patients that there is nothing wrong with their backs and "coercing" them to move their backs again.

Watch what happens jack (a young man) who was originally told he would require back surgery (told he had the back of a 70 year old) never be able to have kids because of the structural state of his back.

Then watch what happened to martin.

The point I think here is that some people in the medical area are waking up to the fact that there is a mind-body connection to our back pain.

I love the part in the second video "I make a conscious effort to get up and move around". "Are you better doing that?". "Emmmmmmm I dont know". Conditioning! Also not the phrase "conflict in your brain" and "messing with your head". Thoughts?

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    Mala likes this.
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Lighthouse,
    I don't understand this, and I want to. Can you tell me more?
    Andy B.

3. Zumbafan

Zumbafan Well known member

Do you mean that TMS, or PPD (psycho-physiological disorders), don't have a cause except what is going on in our internal world? If I have understood what you said, then yes, it is mind blowing! We have hope, as we can change our thinking.

James59 likes this.
  4. lighthouse15

lighthouse15 New Member

Hi Andy

I suppose it's more of a personal thing. Initially TMS was this new alien concept to me and I was captivated by it - but the more I scratched the surface, the closer I realised that for me, my OCD is probably the biggest causal factor in my pain - It completely consumed me and I thought about it every hour of every day. I couldnt let it go. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that TMS is such a broad term and it encompasses so many different things. Maybe I had to look deeper to see the causal link between my ocd and my pain. And then once I found that, then I looked at the OCD, what is the causal link for this? Then with the help of a psychotherapist I opened up the door to my "shadow" (unconscious mind as carl jung referred to it) and I broke down - I linked this back to my terribly unhappy and traumatic childhood.

For me anyway, I think i've been able to find the causes for my childhoold-> OCD -> Back pain.

Sorry for the rant!

5. lighthouse15

lighthouse15 New Member

Also the reason I posted the above video clips out of interest is that we can see first hand how the mind can wreak havoc with back pain. I think what these guys realised is that "oh I can move my back". However I dont know if their healing goes beyond that - they only know their pain went away given the knowledge that it's safe to move their back; but without understanding where the pain may have come from.

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for sharing the excellent videos. Back pain is no fun. I know.
    I am so grateful to Dr. Sarno and this web site for helping that pain to go away.
    I still get back pain once in a while but know it's from TMS.