1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Was i ready for this knowledge?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by ShimmsK, Sep 4, 2017.

1. ShimmsK

ShimmsK Newcomer

I learnt about TMS a few days ago when my first neuro appointment brought to my attention that my pain in my fingers all the way up to my neck and random other parts of my body along with on and off pins and needles could be originating completely from my mind due to traumatic experiences I've had. Ive also had unexplained pelvic pain (6months) and bladder symptoms similar to overactive bladder. These symptoms have never been explained in a medical sense and have been indicated to me by other people in the past that it is in my mind. It was hurtful to hear that as i wouldn't want to consciously be sick and don't see myself as a hypochondriac.
    I have however see how the pain has served me in life in some ways such as distraction from my emotions, and has made me more outward oriented, where i don't think too much how i am feeling.

I suffer from anxiety and depression on and off. Ever since ive been turning my mind off the pain and trying not to fuss over it or use my aids (pain creams, wrists braces, avoidance of activity) i have been feeling more anxious and hopeless about my life. It makes me think about the hurt in my life and wanting to push it down all over again... Prior to my chronic pelvic pain for instance i was abusing alcohol and had a reckless lifestyle. I also quit smoking a couple months ago. These things i had in place to avoid my feelings. Now there is this sense off despair i didn't have prior to my psychosomatic diagnosis (which isn't fully confirmed yet btw).

Anyway it seems like another hill to climb over now. I will continue to further my exercise regime and possibly start to journal and continue to remind my self that there is nothing physically wrong with me. Hopefully i will recover soon, as i feel that despite the use of my arms today my pain is quite minimal.
    Thanks for listening :)

Tennis Tom and Lily Rose like this.
  2. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

Beautiful Shimm ... you are not alone, though you may feel so. The phrase "it is all in your head" has been used in a derogatory fashion for generations, especially for women. Yet, when you take the phrase down to the basics .... it is delightfully true. Imagination is in our head. How we perceive Rainbows and the whisper of Trees and the songs of the Ocean ... this is all 'in our head'. And these experiences translate into a blissful physical response. On the other side of this is the not-so-pleasant physical responses. When embarrassed, we blush. When sad, our eyes get hot and prickly and well with tears. Taking that a step further, when traumatized, our bodies struggle to process what has happened, and our minds are busy burying and stuffing and denying .... and for some of us .... this emerges as chronic pain.

This does not diminish who you are. You are not your pain. You are a soul travelling in a fantastically complex body.

It is hard to see then when overwhelmed by anxiety and depression (two of my demons). I have found that if my anxiety is reduced, it gives me the energy to deal with the depression.

I spend time gently massaging healing salves (that I make) into areas that hurt, and I surround myself with pillows at night, and I cuddle in a blanket that my Mom gave me, and I drink organic tea (St.John Wort and Chamomile are great anxiety reducers, as is Catnip). These are not 'crutches' ... these are self-nurturing actions. I do not bully myself into pushing through pain. I listen, pause, acknowledge, and remind myself that I am worthy and powerful and this distress will soften.

I have no intention of giving up these practices. And I have every intention of remaining pharmaceutical-free.

There are many paths to the same goal. You will find yours. And you will find self-compassion and self-forgiveness.

You ARE worthy, and you are powerful and you are radiant.
    Every moment is an opportunity to remind yourself and re-invent your mind-patterns.

Breathe.
    Dance.
    Dream.
    Be Love.

..... with Love and Gratitude ^_^

3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, you are ready for this knowledge otherwise you wouldn't be here. Along with the good info Lily Rose gave you, you are a fast TMS study if you just discovered it a few days ago! Some people, need to throw the book across the room stage first and then come back to it when their pain becomes too great as a last resort--no one in chronic pain finds TMS first. Your neuro is quite enlightened to have clued you in to it--usually it's "If you don't stop what you're doing "and love to do" for a month (and atrophy and get deeper depressed), "I'll be seeing you for surgery!!!". If your neuro doesn't know Sarno, give him a copy of it so he can recommend him by name. There's a list of TMS physicians and practitioners at this site and maybe your's would be a good candidate for the list, what state are you in?

"Anxiety" and "depression" are also TMS/affective (emotional symptoms)--so you do the same thing to banish them as physical symptoms--"when you feel the pain(s)--affective symptoms too--"think psychological". It may seem "like a hill" but it will flatten out and you'll get a tail wind, the first two weeks of any new program are the sweatiest.

4. ShimmsK

ShimmsK Newcomer

Thankyou everyone for your responses. I do feel very blessed that i was given a God sent neurologist. Even though there are more tests to be done such as CT scan i am pretty much convinced that this is TMS considering my personality type is very task oriented and perfectionist. I get extremely anxious and according to mindbody connection book today i heard one of the techniques to overcome TMS was writing down all stressors big and small... I am yet to do so but i will brace myself for a long list. Not only am i studying two fields, working 2 part time jobs a of and have financial debt, i have a fair amount of stress in my home environment and am waiting for my chance to move out asap. I have resentment toward both family members and the work conditions ive been placed under. Also, in the list we are to note which stressors we CAN change and which ones we CANT. Change the ones you can and let go of the ones you cant and possibly try to change questionable ones.
    We ought not to completely avoid stress altogether but we can tell our minds that the stress doesn't need to be translated to our bodies, and the simple knowledge of repressed emotions can be enough for some people to overcome TMS. Amazing. If this works ill be buying several books to give to people i also suspect may have TMS!

Lily Rose ive got lavender oil in a oil burner which is great to utilise for anxiety. Thankyou for your kind words and all the best in your recovery also.

God bless

5. Tennis Tom

Sounds like you've got plenty on your TMS plate to bring the TMS "reservoir of rage" to overflowing and create TMS symptoms for distraction.

Yes, there can be "positive stress" too :

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/the-upside-of-stress-kelly-mcgonigal-phd/1120421963/2674702027993?st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Marketplace+Shopping+greatbookprices_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP23940&k_clickid=3x23940 (The Upside of Stress: Why Stress Is Good for You, and How to Get Good at It)

The Upside of Stress: Why Stress Is Good for You, and How to Get Good at It
    by Kelly McGonigal
    [​IMG]
    Paperback
    $5.90
    Condition:Acceptable

Sold by GreatBookPrices

Seller since 2008

Seller Rating

(7293)

Seller Comments:

Used, Acceptable Condition, may show signs of wear and previous use. Please allow 4-14 business days for delivery. 100% Money Back Guarantee, Over 1,000,000 customers served.

Ships from: Waukegan, IL

Usually ships in 1-2 business days

I bought the book but haven't had a chance to crack it, but it's title alone helps to give hope :

6. Tennis Tom

Sounds like you've got plenty on your TMS plate to bring the TMS "reservoir of rage" to overflowing and create TMS symptoms for distraction.

Yes, there can be "positive stress" too, I bought the book but haven't had a chance to crack it, but it's title alone helps to give hope :

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/the-upside-of-stress-kelly-mcgonigal-phd/1120421963/2674702027993?st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Marketplace+Shopping+greatbookprices_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP23940&k_clickid=3x23940 (The Upside of Stress: Why Stress Is Good for You, and How to Get Good at It)

[​IMG]

ShimmsK likes this.