1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Want to cry but can't

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, May 9, 2015.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Why is this happening I have the pit in my stomach the clenching in my throat my I can't let out the pain why?

2. David88

David88 Well known member

That happens to me sometimes. I think it is when it doesn't feel safe to let the feeling out for some reason. When it happens I try to look for comfort of some kind.

3. Boston Redsox

I agree David it seems our super ego won't let us do it. I know if I could release some of my emotions via crying instead of yelling I would be onto something

4. David88

David88 Well known member

Yes, crying often helps me, too.

It sounds like your id needs a hug.

Boston Redsox likes this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I give everyone my permission to cry. Long and hard.
    Deep crying is very healthful.
    But if you can't bring yourself to cry, trying LAUGHING.

I'm going to take a few minutes to share the benefits of laughing.

Back in a few minutes.

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Laughter is a powerful antidote to stress, pain, and conflict. Nothing works faster or more dependably to bring your mind and body back into balance than a good laugh. Humor lightens your burdens, inspires hopes, connects you to others, and keeps you grounded, focused, and alert.

With so much power to heal and renew, the ability to laugh easily and frequently is a tremendous resource for surmounting problems, enhancing your relationships, and supporting both physical and emotional health.

Laughter is good for your health
    • Laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.
    • Laughter boosts the immune system. Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease.
    • Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.
    • Laughter protects the heart. Laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow, which can help protect you against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems.
    I don't usually find anything in new movies or on tv funny much less funny enough to cause me to laugh. Older movies and tv shows with the great comedians of the early years of tv make me laugh so I watch DVDs of them. But also, I just tell myself to laugh and once I start laughing it works for me. Even in less than a minute, my laughing takes my mind off any pain or problem.

Crying can be helpful for some people. I far prefer laughing. It is more positive.

T

7. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Marco,

I get that part of you really wants the gentle rain of tears. Or a storm of them. You want to allow and not hold things together. You want a compassionate release.

Sometimes a good round of yelling can lead to crying! Because you're aligning with what is up, and not trying to "go around it." Just hanging with the pit in the stomach is probably a powerful practice. Try to remember that each thing we experience is asking to be felt and held with attunement, precision, self-compassion. It is painful as hell sometimes, but that is what we're called to. Good luck with this.

Andy B.

8. Boston Redsox

Thx all of u

Markus likes this.