1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Waking up with tightness and discomfort

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by DaveNY1, Feb 4, 2014.

1. DaveNY1

DaveNY1 New Member

hi

i have been working through the program and see some improvements. one big hurdle i have is that when i wake up first thing in morning my back is tight and in pain and usually lasts through the whole day. Some days are better than others and i continue to stay positive and work on myself. i was just wondering if there are techniques anyone can recommend I do first thing in am or the night before.
    thank you

2. braden101

braden101 Peer Supporter

I've been reading The Mindbody Prescription right before going to sleep and then doing the SEP as soon as I wake up in the morning.

Usually the pain is the last thing I think about at night and the first thought that enters my brain in the morning, so I've found if I spend that time learning about TMS and trying my best to go about the rest of my day as normal, everyday gets a little easier.

Lately I've felt fine waking up but as soon as I start walking around I start hurting because I suppose I'm expecting it to hurt.

Good luck with it all!

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Braden. Yep, you're probably conditioning yourself to expect pain in the morning.
    Try thinking of other things. Before I get out of bed I always think that it's going to be a great day.
    No pain, no problems. Just good things are going to happen. Things I never expected or planned on.
    I tell myself the day is going to be great all day. If a thought comes to me that I might still worry about,
    I laugh it away. It's amazing how fast I feel better.