1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Vulvodynia and sensitivity

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Bradse, May 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Bradse

Bradse Newcomer

Hi, i was wondering if anyone has any experience of vulvodynia and senstivity to products designed for the vulval area and tms? Im pretty certain tms is a massive part of the pain as i fit a lot of the indicaters. The only problem is that if it is tms then why do most ( but not all) products sting that area? Once i wash the product off then the pain settles down. I suffer from prevoked and unprevoked pain. It would be fantastic if anyone who had sensitivities in that area, or similar, had been able to become pain free.

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes this is definitely TMS. Every time you apply some kind of topical to that area, you are communicating to the brain that there's something physically wrong with that body part. The pain sensations and symptoms are coming from the brain so the approach must be the opposite of what you are doing...not to mention, whatever topicals you are applying could have secondary effects. You can't treat a psychological problem with physical treatments.

Many people have suffered from vulvodynia and gotten better. It's just like any other chronic pain syndrome but that's where it is for you. There may be psychological reasons for that as well that need to be explored. I had therapy with a TMS therapist and it may also be something to consider.

3. Bradse

Bradse Newcomer

Thank you for your advise. It's more to do with shampoo in the shower when i wash my hair carefully, hrt products etc rather than me using medication. It makes sense that i have trained my body to associate products/ chemicals to pain. I'm just needing reassurance.

4. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Oh Ok! Sorry I misunderstood....Yes, there's no reason to worry about soap or shampoo. That is totally harmless and has absolutely nothing to do with the pain sensations. It's important just to do things the way you always did in the past...not worrying about things like that or making an issue of something that's a non issue. Hope that helps!

Dorado and Bradse like this.
  5. Bradse

Bradse Newcomer

Thank you.

6. Kathryn858

Kathryn858 New Member

Hi Bradse,

Yes I have had (and recovered from) all the things you mentioned, plus lots of other TMS symptoms. Please feel free to ask any questions or send me a message directly as I am passionate about supporting other women on their road to recovery too.

Best wishes,
    Kathryn