1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Visual Snow and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by amansukh112, Aug 27, 2021.

1. amansukh112

amansukh112 Newcomer

Hi all,

Hope everyone is staying safe.

A couple of months ago, I had some corneal injuries to my eye which left me in a pretty bad place anxiety-wise. My eyes are pretty okay now (still undergoing treatment), but during that time, I was so anxious and stressed about what would happen to them that I was getting constant adrenaline rushes, anxiety attacks, sleepless nights etc.

I was also taking medication for my eyes and noticed that one of the antibiotics I was taking could cause "ringing in the ears." Stupidly, I started to check to see if I had ringing in my ears every night before going to sleep and found a noise that (I believe) my anxiety latched onto. Ever since then, the noise has gotten louder and I'm starting to notice different sounds as well, which is again increasing my anxiety and creating this vicious cycle. The interesting thing is that sometimes I am able to control my tinnitus...as weird as it may sound. For example, if I don't hear the tinnitus, I can kind of tell my brain and activate it, and it comes back. Also sometimes, if I think about the thought of the tinnitus moving to my left ear, it actually does move to my left ear for a bit before returning to my right ear. I have no idea if this is a normal...

Around a couple weeks ago, when I sat down on my sofa, I also started to notice static vision on my walls, floaters, strong positive/negative afterimages, and visual aura, all of which are apparently symptoms found in people who have something called "Visual Snow Syndrome." I also found out that people who have this condition also very commonly have tinnitus as a symptom.

So now I'm not sure if I put myself into this predicament or if it was actually the antibiotics or if this has anything to do with TMS. I went to a neuro-opthalmologist who said that for some reason, the filter in my brain isn't working for my visual and auditory pathways, but that doesn't mean it won't work again.

Does anyone have any insight as to why this could be happening? Could it be my anxiety and stress which isn't allowing my brain to function normally? Any advice?

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021