1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Visit "standard psychologist", what do you think?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by drlecter, Sep 2, 2019.

1. drlecter

drlecter New Member

Hello, I am from Colombia, in my country there is not TMS therapy, in fact, looking on google, there's nothing about the TMS in my country, books, therapist, forums, nothing!
    So I have no chance to visit TMS therapist, skype is not an option for me, my english is not good enough to talk with somebody, I couldn't express my feelings or emotions in english language... for that reason I was thinking about go to a normal psychologist and explain TMS to him/her but I am not sure if can be helpful, I don't know if it's necessary that the psycholigs believes and accept the TMS even if I explain it to him.
    So, I just want to know your opinion.
    Thanks!

2. Sita

Sita Well known member

Hi,

It's a good idea to see a psychotherapist (psychologist) and work on your emotions. You can explain him/her the TMS concept or not, but talking about your emotions with the therapist is a great idea. I've also seen a psychotherapist that had no idea about TMS but was able to help me.

All the best!

3. freedomseeker

freedomseeker Peer Supporter

I see a therapist that has never heard of tms. She has still been helpful for me. I have explained tms to her and she has been very open to it. I think she’s been learning a lot from me actually. And I think any good therapist would be willing to hear about it. Also, any therapist that is not open to the idea that the mind effects the body is not a good therapist and that can be a sign to seek someone else.

4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

I went to see a Psychologist after my pain went away. I was pain free but angry all of the time. I just went to the psych my insurance assigned and told him I needed to get to the root , and get a grip on my anger. He had never heard of Sarno or TMS but was extraordinarily open minded.

As an aside, the Psych said I was one of his easiest patients he had ever had. He told me we got to places by the 3rd or 4th visit that it usually takes years for people to get to. I reminded him that I didn't want TMS pain but also didn't want to lose my Job for being a D--k. I was the most motivated client he had ever had!

Anything you do to start chipping at the repressed rage will help. Whether or not other people agree with us is irrelevant.

You are moving in the right direction!

5. Sammie

Sammie Peer Supporter

I have been talking to a Psychotherapist with the Pain psychology center in California. She is great. So far I am having a really hard time journaling and meditating. It seems almost impossible for me at times! I’m a very anxious person, it takes a lot for me to sit down and relax! All I seem able to focus on is the pain, and I mean every little twinge! If there is a tiny pain in my toe I will freak out. Not really sure what I’m not getting, but I’m MISSING something?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree 100%.

With what is known today, it would be inexcusable, if not malpractice, for a therapist to reject or to be unaware of the mindbody connection!

@drlecter, you probably don't know that near the end of his career, Dr. Sarno said that perhaps "TMS" should really refer to The Mindbody Syndrome.