1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

VIDEOS BY CANDICE PERT, PHD, A PIONEER IN MINDBODY MEDICINE

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021), Feb 18, 2014.

1. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Candace Pert, Ph.D., formerly of the National Institute for Health in Washington, D.C., who died in September, 2013, discovered some of the mechanisms that control emotions and pain in the brain using neuropeptides that plug into pain receptors. This is the same mechanism that Dr John E. Sarno believes is at work in the creation of TMS pain and other psychogenic symptoms.

Besides studying the brain in regard to pain, Dr. Pert also spent the last 28 years pursuing research to create a non-toxic treatment and a vaccine for HIV/AIDS.

Her New York Times obituary is at:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/science/candace-pert-67-explorer-of-the-brain-dies.html?_r=0

See this web site for further information on Dr. Pert: http://candacepert.com/

Videos by Candace Pert on Mindbody healing:

In the 2-part videos, Ms. Pert tells of “Miraculous Healings” through Mindbody practices. She says scores of people have cured themselves of cancer and many varied pain symptoms without surgery by discovering their repressed emotions. She says our mind creates our body’s health or sickness. The body wants to heal itself, but we need to believe it is possible to heal our pain with mindfulness.

In the first of the two-part videos Ms. Pert tells about an OxfordUniversity professor who was diagnosed with breast cancer but cured herself without surgery. She did some Mindbody thinking and realized she had repressed emotions about a brother who had abused her when she was a child. Once she reflected on that, her cancer disappeared.

I have had personal experience with this phenomenon relating to back pain largely caused by repressed guilt regarding my inability to be a caretaker for my aging mother after two years of trying. I finally forgave her and myself and it helped to relieve my back pain.

In the third video, Ms. Pert talks with Bill Moyers about neuropeptides that are the biochemicals of emotion that play a great part in healing ourselves through affirmations.

Dr. Sarno praises Ms. Pert in two of his books. In Healing Back Pain, he says, “Extremely important work is being done in the brain biochemistry section of the National Institutes of Mental Health on the subject of brain-body interaction. One of the pioneers in this research is Cancade Pert, once chief of that section, whose work is demonstrating communication between the brain and different parts and systems of the body.” He then writes a section about Mind and the Cardiovascular System (page 149).

In The Mindbody Prescription, Dr. Sarno said Ms. Pert, in recognizing widespread and intimate connections between the brain and the body, first suggested that the words mind and body be joined. He further said that mind and body should no longer be hyphenated. “It is one word, as the title of this book implies.”

Dr. Sarno credited Ms. Pert, a laboratory scientist and practitioner of “hard science,” and her research group, as being the first to speak of the biochemistry of emotions. He calls her research in chemicals called neuropeptides (which Pert discusses in her video interview with Bill Moyers) as being “magnificent” and a cornerstone of his TMS pain and healing philosophy.

Neuropeptides, which are found in the spinal cord, spleen, and other parts of the body, have a connection with specific receptors in the brain that exist for feelings of rage, joy, hunger, pain, pleasure, grief, and for all emotions as well as for body reactions like appetite, sexual behavior, and water balance.

Dr. Sarno said Ms. Pert’s research easily shows how an emotion might stimulate a physical disorder through either the autonomic nervous system or alteration of immune function.

We owe a lot to Candace Pert, a true Mindbody pioneer.

Becca likes this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Wonderful videos. Thanks for posting, Walt. I didn't know she had died. What a huge loss.

So much to think about in these videos....

3. Becca

Becca Well known member

Wow, these are fascinating. Definitely gave me a lot to think about, too.

The second video (my favorite of the three) I think is really all about the power of belief. Dr. Pert said something just about halfway through that really stuck with me: something like, "the body wants to heal itself but the limits are in our minds." I though that was a fascinating point, a slightly different (but still totally accurate) way of framing TMS.

I also found Dr. Pert's opinions on cancer particularly interesting. Given that, as well as her thoughts on belief, I can't help but wonder how certain feelings towards being diagnosed with cancer, whose name alone holds such severity, impacts survival. I think (correction: I know) I'd be terrified to get that diagnosis but I also think feeling defeated (and having that feeling dominate) would have a strong negative influence on my health. I think outlook is synonymous to belief here: it influences health (both physical and mental).

Ellen likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I didn;'t know she had died until sharp Forest learned it.

A good friend's wife and also my sister both fought cancer with belief and won.

Pert was indeed a visionary in healing and it's shame she didn't live to be 100 to help more.

5. nancy

nancy Well known member

I wish she had lived for many more years, truly an inspiring person with a lot to give to
    human nature.

6. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

Its great that proper credentialed scientists are coming up with these conclusions, bodes well for the future of medicine but I'm sure the Pharmafia grip on health will continue for a long while yet...such is the level of our social conditioning

7. sam908

sam908 Peer Supporter

With all of her insights into the mind-body connection, it's surprising that she passed away at a relatively young age by today's standards.