1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Using goals and dreams to get rid of pain.

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Lady Phoenix, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Peer Supporter

In the book, The Great Pain Deception, there are 2 techniques near the end of the book that sounded interesting. Both are ways of connecting with our inner child and both are supposed to be powerful ways to get rid of pain. Since I was struggling a little lately, I decided to try them. The first is setting up rewards for small goals. I decided that if I climbed the huge hill into town as quickly as possible and returned again without using my inhaler (asthma) I would reward myself by sitting on the front porch with a large ice coffee, listening to music. I had the best day ever!

The second one is about using dreams to get rid of anger toward someone because our unconscious mind is tuned in when you are first falling asleep. Example, a fun day of shopping with your mother helps anger to go away. My question is, how do I start up a deliberate dream? The book claims that the inner child sometimes communicates with us at this same point in sleep, and so we can use this in reverse. This has happened to me twice. Since some of you are therapists, maybe you know how to cause a deliberate dream.

I know this is an odd question but worth a shot.

Boston Redsox likes this.