1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Urgent need help

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by osca aelius, Feb 20, 2018.

1. osca aelius

osca aelius Peer Supporter

Recently i feel some discomfort on my chest, suspicious it was tms, i made sure and get myself checked to doctor. The result is my blood pressure is higher than normal (150/90) and its called hypertension. At that time i dont know what to do, i dont know if the discomfort in my chest is TMS or not, should i get second opinion. Doctor told me to get checked completely which cost much more money to make sure everything is fine. However im unemployed and cant tell my parents, since my parents dont believe in me anymore, because i asked them to get me checked several times only to found that my symptoms is TMS and psychological, nothing serious is going on. But this time is different, i checked myself to doctor and surprised to found the result i have high blood pressure.

Any advice? I cant and dont want to tell my parents about this, but i also cant handle this by myself since i need money to take care of myself and im unemployed, right now i cant differentiate between real tms or not, although my symptoms isnt that bad and i can ignore it all day long.

Im scared, dont know what to do, and feel lost...

2. osca aelius

I need advice so i can remain calm and overcome this issue. I still need to know when the symptoms is caused by my high BP or its TMS. Any advice will be appreciated, thanks.

3. colls100

colls100 Well known member

I'm not a doctor or a TMS expert but high blood pressure is one of the most common symptoms associated with stress. Anything borne out of stress/tension = TMS.

MWsunin12 likes this.
  4. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

Osca aelius, you feel trapped here. And I do understand that the doctor thinks that more checks are necessary. It's always a bit of a question how necessary and what is really necessary? Did the doctor indicate what these checks are and why? A simple ECG doesn't cost that much and rules out a lot of diseases.

And I also understand that you don't want to talk to your parents about it. But isn't it also a matter of how you talk to your parents? Do they know about TMS? If they understand your condition then they might be of help here. Not only in the sense that they pay diagnostics, but also in the way that they can be support.

And I think colls100 is right, high blood pressure can be TMS thing, many wrote about it. My father e.g. always has high blood pressure when measured at the doctors office and quite normal at home.

5. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Peer Supporter

Why don't you monitor your blood pressure at home? This will give you some idea of what is going on. Some people that go to the doctor's office will get a higher reading than if it was taken at home.

6. osca aelius

I dont have BP measuring items at home @wonderwoman. @Time2be my parents never care about my anxiety disorder back then, i went through hell having anxiety disorder for a few years suffering until i learn about my conditions and read forums from people who experienced the same as me, then educating myself about anxiety and practicing acceptance to recover now. Parents belittle me about my anxiety and feel annoyed if i asked them to get me checked to the doctor because they will automatically assume i just make up my symptoms because anxiety and make a conclusion that im physically healthy and doesnt give a damn about my mental health. Let alone asking them to understand about my TMS, even me as an anxiety sufferer back then wouldnt believe about TMS although i suffer from anxiety because TMS symptoms is bizzare and so much more diverse.

Anyway much thanks to people who answer on the forums, you all are lovely people. I will report about my conditions a few days from now. I guess i just have to chill and test my blood pressure a second time. My current main symptoms is hurts on chest IF (only if) i take a deep breath. Also little weird pain feelings (the pain isnt bad and i can ignore it all day long) on chest that comes and go randomly, and it happens only for seconds and doesnt linger. That's it.

7. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Osca,

As a healthcare provider I can tell you that what the others said above is correct- blood pressure is affected by MANY things (the mind being one of them) and your high reading very well may be occurring due to anxiety. They call that "white coat hypertension" and all it means is you feel anxious in the doctor's office and get a high reading! Doesn't mean your blood pressure is high all of the time or even at other times, so the recommendation is usually to take it at home, like what Wonderwoman and Time2be said. I actually have had the same thing happen recently- higher readings at my OB's office than at home while i've been pregnant, since I get some jitters before each appointment. I take it at home every day to make sure things are normal. You can get a BP monitor from Amazon for pretty inexpensive, or even go to the drug store and check it for free.

Also, chest pain isn't generally a symptom of high blood pressure. I frequently take my patient's blood pressure before their sessions if they are being treated for hypertension and i've seen readings like this or much higher with no symptoms. If your doctor wants to rule out any cardiac stuff they could easily do an ECG, noninvasive and would give you peace of mind. But thankfully a lot of times chest pain or tightness is just TMS and nothing more complex.

Just saw your last comment about pain only with a deep breath- this is almost certainly just muscle tension! If there was really something cardiac going on it would persist. Still follow your doc's recommendation if they want to rule something out but rest assured it's really unlikely given your symptoms.

MWsunin12 and Time2be like this.
  8. osca aelius

The pain doesnt only come if i take deep breath actually, it justs i oftenly can trigger the pain by intentionally taking deep breath. As for the pain, it sometimes can come and go randomly and the pain isnt that bad and i can ignore it mostly. Just want to clarify so there is no misunderstanding :)

Anyway thank you to all of you who reply, i will update my conditions later, need all of your guidance fellow friends :O

9. osca aelius

Oh and btw, funny stories guys. The doctor that checked me is the second doctor that i come to. The first doctor refuse to treat me and dont even give me any check after interviewing me for like a minute. He said, you are young (20 yo), didnt cough, feels like there is nothing wrong with you. In indonesian there are many doctors that practice giving medicine to the patients although its unecessary and they do it to get provit. This first doctor simply refusing to even touch me to check and said nothing is wrong with you, i dont want to be like other doctors who give untrue diagnosis. He said hypertension in young adult is impossible (although incorrect). My opinion is, he should try harder and at least touch me to check my body with a stetoschope or something, but the bright side is he doesnt want to confuse and use my money if he thinks there is no problem in my body. But because i still doubt the first doctor, i went to the second doctor who told me i have higher blood pressure than normal and advise me to get fully checked. Haha xD

10. Bingo2500

Bingo2500 New Member

Have you tried meditation to calm yourself? It's a great stress reliever and might just calm your BP.

11. osca aelius

Yes i have tried meditation. But when it hurts my chest while taking deep breath, i stopped meditation. Today feel a little better. Lets see.

12. osca aelius

Just get my BP checked again and the result is 140/80. There is still some discomfort on chest. Hope nothing serious is going on. I only did EKG resting test, and chest radiology without blood test because of my limited budget. Will keep updating to you guys

13. Bingo2500

Bingo2500 New Member

Meditation should quiet your breathing. No need for deep breaths. Mine slows to almost nonexistent when I am deep in meditation. Your deep breathing could be fear. Try to calm it. Focus on it and tell it to slow down.

14. osca aelius

A few days ago i got my medical test result. Thorax radiology looks fine, Resting ECG is normal, blood pressure come back to normal, first day at 150/90, second day 140/80, the third day 130 something, which means my BP is normal. Well im so happy now. Thank you all of you guys here who is supporting me and try to calm me by saying there is nothing serious that happened to me :)