1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Upper back tension

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by douggie, Dec 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. douggie

douggie Peer Supporter

Hi All,

I've had an incredible recovery over the past year from lower back pain and RSI. I was disabled to the point that I couldn't use the computer for more than 10 minutes and sit down for more than 20 minutes without long lasting pain. Now I can use the computer / sit down for pretty much as long as I want with minimal issues.

However, now I feel like I might be dealing with a new symptom - tension in my upper back muscles. Its like all my upper back muscles are squeezing each other and I just need to stretch them, but I can't. It comes after I've been working for a long time (maybe like 3 or 4 12 hour days in a row).

I'm thinking it might be anxiety related as well. Sometimes it becomes hard to take in deep breaths. My anxiety has increased since after going through the recovery process in comparison to before.

Has anyone experienced a similar symptom?

2. Celayne

Celayne Well known member

Hi Douggie,

I have had similar problems with upper back and shoulders. It can be extremely painful and it sometimes takes a bit to work out knots. For me, it can happen just from carrying something that isn't particularly heavy up a flight of stairs, as I just did with a box of tree ornaments.

The difficult in taking deep breaths can exacerbate anxiety, too, and turn a decent day into an experience of pain and unease.

It's definitely TMS. I know it's TMS and yet it keeps happening. Although not as much or as long-lasting. So there is some progress.

douggie and plum like this.
  3. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

Hi douggie,

I am familiair with the same problem but learned that hyperventlation is the key problem. Not the panic atack ones : the chronic type. When you do this : you get a overuse problem with the muscles in the upperbody : you use mus cles for breathing who are not designed for it. Breathing from the belly is key.
    And learn to slow down the ammount of breaths you take a minute.

I did a special program with a breathing therapist once. Six weeks of multiple hours a day (Yes really ! ) to bring breathing back to normal and gave the muscles change to relax again.
    Its a problem that also returns once in a while : now i use a app on my phone to help me.
    The reason is stress : so tms !
    Also posture on the computer matters
    But the problem is anxiety

douggie and plum like this.
  4. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi douggie,

I'm enduring a particularly brutal round of upper back, shoulder and neck pain because my trapezius muscles are holding an insane amount of tension. It absolutely is TMS and it absolutely is driving me nuts. I'm going to roll around on a tennis ball for some blessed relief but I'm also going to kick some stressors into touch.

I hope you're able to find some relief soon. Maybe knowing it is TMS will go some way toward that.

douggie and karinabrown like this.
  5. karinabrown

Plum :
    Putting a tennisball into a pantysock is also a good tool : than you can hold it in your hands and put it over your shoulder and press (gently!) against the wall. (Never direct at the spinalcord but next to it )
    But maybe you knew this trick’ already !

plum likes this.
  6. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Hi All,

I too have recovered from many TMS symptoms but the chronic tension in my back and shoulders remains.

So, yes, I understand! Sometimes I feel
    out of ideas when I have already dug as deep as I can for a reason for my TMS.

I feel like we can sometimes figure out a lot of issues but maybe not all of them.

I just want to feel ok not being ok. Getting rid of the tension would be nice though!

-AC45

karinabrown and plum like this.
  7. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Ah, I love learning new tricks. Thank you for this. I usually writhe around on the floor like a mad woman :confused:. I shall enjoy this new approach. xxx

karinabrown likes this.
  8. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Amen to that. I'm sure a massage a day would work like a charm. If I ever win the lottery...

karinabrown likes this.
  9. karinabrown

Yes plum that would be on my list too : maybe we all should start christmas that way : with a massage : win win situation !

plum likes this.