1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Upper back, shoulder and neck pain and stiffness for 2 years

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by aleksey, Oct 3, 2020.

1. aleksey

aleksey New Member

Hi All. Writing for the first time on this forum. I seek advice with the upper back pain. Sorry for a long text. Just wanted all major details to be included. Here is my story up to this moment:
    I've always been anxious person, but I've kind of enjoyed the stress and thought it is normal. When I was 17, I suddenly started having painful irritable bladder syndrom. The pain was finally removed after 4 month using medication, but the symptoms continued over 3 more years. Soon after it my knee became to hurt while walking. I found the ostheopatis and her threatment worked for me, but in a few month I develipped a higher back pain on the left side. Then again, the ostheopathis helped with it. The pain returned periodically, maybe once a year for the last 7 years and was removed by visiting ostheopatis. But 3 years ago the pain started to appear each month. And each time it gone away after the ostheopathisis's treatment. She used to say that I have an "unstable vertebrae", basically thorasic Th5. Then she did some manipulations and the pain were gone for weeks or monthes, until I lift something heavy.
    I became tired of this trearment and was looking for another doctor. I went to some hiropractic and that was the biggest mistake in my life. Hi was doing harsh manipulations with all my body for 8 days in a row. Right after the first his trearment I developped a light neck pain. And after all 8 procedures my left upper side pain increased.
    After that I went to my ostheopatis, but her threatment stopped working. I started fealing pain non stop 24/7 around the Th4-Th6 vertebraes and in the upper left back muscles. I stopped all physical activities, including swimming and walking, because they trippled the pain. Without movement, just sitting and working I felt not so bad. It lasted for a year. Then, from 2020, I started having an insomnia. I now constantly take sleeping pills. This spring, while doing daily hymnastic for my neck, the was some pop sound in the neck. That evening there was a moment I started loosing consciousness and received a panick attack. I havent been able keep my head stright for a few weeks! From that day, I became having frequent panick attacks and developped depression, anxiety was constant, and higher back pain together with neck pain increased to the level I became bedridden, living in constant fear and taking all kind of meds for pain and depression. Also the pain started spreading to my left shoulder and to the right upper back. Plus I started feeling left face and head side numbness, and my jaw started feeling as it trembless.
    I went to a physician and regardless my fears that I habe "unstable vertebrae" in my upper back, started doing hymnastics. During the summer, I work out every day for 2 hours. My body became stronger and panick attacks became less frequent. But 90% of my pain is stayed with me. I did full back/brain MRI and there are no slipped vertebraes or spondylolysthesis (although I have receided common diagnosys as osteochondrosis, scoliosis, spondhylosis and spondhyloarthritis in all spine plus bulging discs in the lower back).
    2 weeks ago I stumbled upon "Healing the back pain" and it resonated with me deeply and now I think my symptoms are TMS. What interesting about my pain is that its always shifting. It usually 5 min on the left, 5 on the right, then goes in the middle or even in the center of my back. And in brief moments when its stops I feel great tension in my neck together with raising anxiety/fear. And I have one type of pain sensations laying in bed, others when I sit, and different when I stand. Does it sounds like TMS syndroms? Have anyone had upper back pain or was dignosed with "unstable vertebraes" and cured using TMS practices?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes.
    Almost all of us who ended up here came with a slew of diagnoses (plural) about the problems with our spine, discs, nerves. I have/have stenosis, disc problems, a broken vertebrae and was born with a congenital fusion and Using Dr. Sarno's books have become 100% pain free. I am not unique.

Since they have never been able to solve back pain, the Medical world is constantly re-naming psychogenic symptoms aka TMS. Since I first read Sarno in the late nineties several different diagnoses have gone in and out of vogue. Unstable V's, sounds like just the newest name on an old problem. If you look through history books there have been several we no longer use anymore (Lumbago, NEURASTHENIA.) ....

Funny. I just went to spellcheck neurasthenia and the first google article is about them dropping it as a diagnosis... but tons of people went and got treated for it. It was big in Freud's day.

keep reading the book, do the 12 daily reminders and find out about yourself. You will win.

TG957, Lainey and aleksey like this.
  3. aleksey

aleksey New Member

Thank you Baseball65, your words are so encouraging!
    Yes, that really strange how pain in one place spread to half of the body. No way 1 "unstable vertebrae", if sich thing exists, could do this amount of damage. For this 2 years I've felt like falling deeper and deeper.
    Seems there's no other way but to start working on my psyche, which I never did in my life. It's great to know that I'm not alone in this fight!

Baseball65 likes this.
  4. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Love your posts Baseball.....somehow you manage to make me smile....tnxs. Glad you are doing well.
    Lainey

TG957, Baseball65 and aleksey like this.
  5. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

@Baseball65 makes a very good point. Doctors are renaming conditions much like businesses are renaming their products. Yesterday it was Coke, today it is New Coke, tomorrow it is Classic Coke. Packaging changes slightly, content hardly ever. One of my many TMS manifestations was CRPS. It had other names before: Reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD), causalgia, reflex neurovascular dystrophy (RND). In reality, it was the same condition that doctors did not know how to explain and even less so how to cure. It is still considered incurable.
    Before I was properly diagnosed, I was told that my EMG was bad, that I had RSI, carpal tunnel syndrome, pinched nerve, Raynaud's syndrome, dystonia etc. Yet, I am alive, well and doing better than before, without any steroids, opioids or surgeries.

aleksey, Lainey and Baseball65 like this.
  6. mugwump

mugwump Well known member

Life is good because God is great. It's good to know that you're doing better. Keep the spirit burning!

7. aleksey

aleksey New Member

Thank you all for the support. I indeed feel a bit better!
    I new to the TMS diagnosys, bur it's so refreshing to know that I'm okay phisically. I recently started to realize it by myself, that my symptoms are psycological. But I thought that something wrong with my brain, that it's broken and send these pain signals for some reason. I even did brain MRI. Now, after reading the book and finding this forum, it all started to make sense.

TG957 and Baseball65 like this.