1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Unlearn Your Pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JacketSpud, Nov 5, 2015.

1. JacketSpud

JacketSpud Peer Supporter

I am on chapter 4 of this book. I have read a couple by Sarno (healing back pain and the MindBody prescription) and two other books, and liked them all, but this one really speaks to me. I have a research nackground (genetics and psychology / psychiatry with a fair bit of neurology thrown in for good measure) and I feel this gets to the lingering questions I have and reframes some of the things I read in Sarno in a way that makes more sense to me. I have the five chapter version borrowed on Amazon prime and will definitely be purchasing the complete book.

Can anyone tell me how the program compares with the SEP?

Thanks.

IrishSceptic likes this.
  2. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Unlearn Your Pain is an excellent book and program. I think Dr Schubiner gives on-line support as well so it is worth checking out his web site. Since it is making sense and speaking to you, I would definitely stay focused on it. You can always come back to the SEP. I would say the SEP is very educational and goes over a lot of different areas.
    I ended up doing both and many more things. It is very common when starting to work on the TMS, to overthink, over research, pressure yourself to figure it all out. Perhaps it is the perfectionist that so many of us seem to have, but we end up trying to do too much all at once. Any of these programs can work for you, and Unlearn your Pain is one of the best. The important thing is to find one you like and settle in with it for a while.

3. JacketSpud

I think I'm going to finish up SEP first. It's doing me some good emotionally (maybe even pain wise but I've had so many false positives in the past that I hasten to get too excited about that yet, so in focusing on the emotional aspects), but I like the content I've read so far of unlearn your pain so I'd like to work through it afterwards. It's a fantastic read so far!

4. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

I agree with Anne. Don't overdo or overwhelm yourself. Depending on your condition start with one and see how your pain is after a week or two. If no improvement, try a different approach.

I recently did a session with a man whose pain had gotten worse since he started digging up past painful experiences in order to heal them. Although dealing with sources of anger and rage can be useful in some cases it was not helping him at all.

So proceed with caution.

5. JacketSpud

I won't over do it :) I'm reading the books to find the ones that resonate best with me. I'm sticking with one actual program at a time.

And as hard as It is digging up through my emotional baggage, it feels kinda like spring cleaning! That sounds so weird, but to me that's a good thing!

Thank you for your concern and advice.

6. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

The unconconcious mind has no concept of time. Therefore, it cannot differentiate whether a threat is from the past or current and whether it's real or preconceived. Therefore, I believe when we are digging through emotional baggage it can actually feel as if we are reliving the experience and the pain may spiral out of control.

Simplicity likes this.
  7. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

I took the program this fall and I highly recommend it.

My symptoms did get worse initially as I faced my past experiences. It felt like my whole body tried to stop me from facing my emotional pain, my mind created new symptoms to distract me from digging deeper. I kept at it and faced issue after issue, went back to those times in my past when I felt helpless and treated wrong.

The important part is being able to see things for what they truly are, not as a concept, but something that lives inside you... and then find ways to let go of the anger, the sadness and the hurt... only then can you begin to truly heal.

This is the process I am in now. The program is over and I overcame many of my symptoms, but I need to do more work. Some people get better by reading about tms, for some of us it takes longer and that is ok. We should take comfort that each step we are brave enough to take will lead us to a better place.

These last months have been incredibly hard, but the work I'm doing makes me feel alive again, pain and all. :)

I wish you all the best!

Kindly
    Simplicity

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2015
    Anne Walker and mike2014 like this.
  8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Simplicity. You are doing great in TMS healing. To feel alive again, despite any pain, is wonderful progress. It may even be the best thing.

To me, TMS has been an adventure in self-discovery that has made me a healthier, happier person. I don't think anyone lives entirely without some pain or some degree of pain, not in today's world. We live as pain-free and happy as we can, and thank the Lord for all the blessings He has given us.

Anne Walker and Simplicity like this.
  9. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

Thank you so much Walt!

Many blessings
    Simplicity

10. FredAmir

Walt said."To me, TMS has been an adventure in self-discovery that has made me a healthier, happier person." I couldn't agree more. If we look at it as an opportunity to learn and grow.

"I don't think anyone lives entirely without some pain or some degree of pain, not in today's world. We live as pain-free and happy as we can, and thank the Lord for all the blessings He has given us." Certainly as long as there are things to get angry about TMS is with us. However, we need to be careful about what we believe about pain. If we believe some pain is ok, then we will always have some. I experienced that during my recovery. However, once I changed my belief to zero pain, that's what happened.

IrishSceptic and Bungalowgal like this.
  11. JacketSpud

Always better to reach for the stars than settle for the moon, I always say! Of course, that kind of thinking is probably a huge contributor towards my current pain issues :)

12. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

We're always going to have to face some sort of pain in life, even when the physical pain is gone. We can acquire the tools to deal with life's trials and face them head on and that is what I'm trying to do now. I'm very grateful to be able to learn and grow as a person in this way. :)

13. FredAmir

Yes, reach for the moon and be happy when you land among the stars! If you feel happy when you land among the stars, then you know you have overcome perfectionism.

Simplicity likes this.