1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

"undoing" all the ways in which I was programmed

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Eric "Herbie" Watson, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks to an older post I found by Tennis Tom I was able to find this Gem, Thanks Tom.

Excerpted from Chapter Nine, "Structural Pain or Psychosomatic Pain?", by Douglas Hoffman, M.D. :

"In the subsequent years my pain gradually worsened, and each physician I sought treatment from had a different diagnosis. Each physical therapist also had a different diagnosis and a different solution to the problem. But the pain in the lower back prevailed, and I was relegated to leisurely bicycle rides. It was on one of these rides before graduation from medical school that I came upon one of the faculty orthopedic surgeons also out for a ride. After hearing my story he simply said, "You're probably one of those Low Backers."

Unaware of how those powerful words programmed me to experience ongoing back pain, I continued to fail various treatment attempts with both conventional and alternative approaches. I was desperate!
    One day at the bookstore I saw Dr. Sarno's second book, Healing Back Pain: The Mind-Body Connection. How true were the words that I read. What perfect sense he made. Applying the theories and treatment techniques that I learned from the book, within one week my back pain was better than it had been in ten years and in six weeks I was "cured". I was stunned! Simply by understanding my pain as psychosomatic, including its psychological reasons, and "undoing" all the ways in which I was programmed to have back pain, I was pain free!"

From page 303 of Dr. John Sarno's The DIVIDED MIND: