1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Understanding parts therapy??

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by nancy, Nov 2, 2013.

1. nancy

nancy Well known member

Would someone be able to explain parts therapy to me? I am interested but just
    can not figure it out. I know I am very depressed over my chronic leg pain but
    just trying to figure this out but with such a slow depressed mind is difficult. Depression
    slows the mind as you know. I have been in constant leg pain while standing or walking
    for 8 yrs now. No medical reason. My life is so very depressing now. I was an active, very
    active ballet teacher and nurse, pilates, aerobics teacher and a runner. I now have nothing
    to relieve my stresses. It is hard to walk on legs that hurt but I do it. I am strong but this is
    becoming discouraging. Thank You, Love you all, Nancy

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Nancy,

The first thing that I want to say is that you are on the right track. I know that it is scary, but trust me, you will get your life back.

Regarding your question, I think that the first step in doing Parts Therapy work is getting centered and relaxed. I think that this could be very helpful for you. Starting with a simple relaxation tape and observing how your body and mind feel different when they are relaxed and when they aren't relaxed would be a great start.

If you'd like to learn more about Parts Therapy itself, I'll paste in an email that I sent out of the Parts Therapy email list recently. I think that the report that I mentioned in it is a terrific starting point.

Hi everyone,

It has been great to see all of the enthusiasm for this group. It sounds like the quiz helped people see how IFS could help them, but to realize this potential, we will need to go deep and learn some skills. After all, IFS isn't just about information, it's about a practice - doing actual IFS sessions.

Many people in the group seem to be reading Self Therapy by Jay Earley, including myself and 5 others that I am aware of. I'm listening to the audiobook and greatly enjoying it, finding it an easy read that is packed with helpful information that will help me put this all into action.

However, some people might not be ready to jump into the book just yet, and for them, I thought that it might be good to start a little reading group focused on learning the basics using free materials.

I asked njoy and she liked the idea, so I propose that those who don't have the book yet start reading the free report from personal-growth-programs.com. Written by Jay Earley, at 18 pages, it is an easy read with diagrams that make it even easier. It answers questions like...
    What is a protector?
    What is an exile?
    How is IFS different than other approaches?
    Perhaps we could set a goal of finishing it by next Monday, and we can have a little Q&A discussion about it starting next Monday in this thread. The idea would be to keep it simple and easy, so there wouldn't be a teleconference or anything, just some discussion in this group.

How does that sound?

To download the report, just go to this link:
    http://personal-growth-programs.com/learn-about-ifs/free-report/
    They'll ask for your email address and will put you on their mailing list. I'm on the list already and like it. It's also easy to unsubscribe, but if you absolutely don't want to be on it, here is the direct link to download the report:
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/PGPSupport/Personal-Healing-and-Growth-with-IFS-Free-Report.pdf

Forest

PS

Of course, if people wanted a teleconference, we could have an open discussion -- just pipe up if you would be interested in something like that and would be willing to help choose a time or facilitate the discussion.