1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Undermethylator, chronic Lyme or TMS

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Livinginhope, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Livinginhope

Livinginhope Peer Supporter

So I have brought part of this subject up before, but thought I would expand it a bit to see if anyone else could weigh in on it. I just left an appointment with my LLD, Lyme Literate Doctor, and I mentioned to him that there is a lot of overlapping with TMS symptoms and chronic Lyme. He then mentioned that it also exists with people who have a genetic makeup where they undermethylate. I have a genetic anomaly which is currently being treated with supplements, primarily B vitamins, as I am unable to absorb them in my body. The character traits of someone who has this anomaly, is extremely similar to TMS character traits, so my question is; are a lot of disciplines coming to the same conclusion that mind/body issues occur more frequently with people who have these characteristics? Curious.

Lily Rose likes this.
  2. Livinginhope

Someone responded to my previous email, but for some reason, it has been withdrawn. The response was pretty much slamming the fact that chronic Lyme exists. In my case, it may be questionable, so I don't draw exception to the response. However, there are far too many people who suffer from this to say it doesn't exist. The CDC, for many years, refused to say that chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia were real and I trust that in the future, chronic Lyme will have some type of autoimmune category that they will give a different name to be less controversial. For me, I am finding that that TMS program is helpful. It is not for me to say that all Lymies or Lyme doctors do not also have legitimate issues.

3. pspa

pspa Well known member

4. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

Your musings are quite appropriate and thoughtful. I believe TMS, which when you simplify it, means an physical response to an emotional issue, is responsible for a great many ailments. However, life is not about absolutes. There are many things which are not under this category. I have seen it posted that some believe cancer falls under this, yet children are tragically born with cancer.

I believe there are many paths to the same outcome. Some cancer IS created by our emotions and attitude. But some is not. Many ailments (outcomes) may have many factors involved.

What is so very much ignored or disregarded is our environment. If you come into contact with poison, our bodies react. If you are poisoned for a long period (think arsenic as an example) the body will develop terrible symptoms and eventually die. This is not TMS.

Our health is intricately linked to the internal and external.

As we contaminate our world, we contaminate ourselves.

You mention fibromyalgia (which I have been diagnosed with). As an adult, near the end of my Fathers's life, I found out he also had this. He also had clinical depression, anxiety, etc. It is said to be genetic, as well as psychosomatic. These are the same issues I have. Rheumatoid arthritis runs on the other side of my family, and it is also said that those with RA will often have family members with fibromyalgia and other like issue.

However, cultivating the attitude of TMS (treating it like it is psychosomatic) is still necessary, as it reduces or even fully eliminates many symptoms. Whether you have cancer, lymes, lupus, anything .... our attitude and our belief that our bodies can heal by our utter faith that we have that ability ....... it works.

Ultimately, no matter what the medical condition or the cause, our bodies can heal from many things. However, it isn't just our minds and emotions. The whole body approach is necessary. What we put into our bodies can heal or hurt. The energies that bombard us (crowds, negative words, tragic images) ... our bodies absorb.

We all want validation for how we feel and what we are going through. But we don't often get it. It does not mean you are wrong. It just means you have to be patient and let things simmer as people mull over new information.

Keep learning, keep exploring.

And remember ... You are Loved <3

.... with Love and Gratitude ^_^

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    fridaynotes, Tennis Tom and plum like this.
  5. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi LIH,
    The trouble with your question is that many people who recovered simply have difficulty believing in some of the things you mentioned. They could have easily chosen the B12,Lyme, Magnesium and what not path instead of the TMS approach. They didn't and still many of them got better.
    I think Lyme exists, but I see little sense in that so many people suffer from this chronically. The way it is diagnosed as chronic and keeps creating the weirdest symptoms is very controversial, the way it is being treated with tons of anti-biotics even more.
    As for CFS and fibro, many people here kicked that or improved significantly only applying the TMS method. Yes, conventional doctors can somehow diagnose CFS and Fibro, but till this day they have no clue about what to do about it, because they do not understand what is causing it. My PT thought I had fibro, but I turned out fine once I attributed it to TMS.
    As for the vitamin B, it is trickier. You mention you have a genetic anomaly, but I wonder how they came up with that. Not because I don't believe it is possible, but because as a doctor you need two things to be able to make that call:
    a) you need evidence that this gene is the CAUSE for mal-absorption, correlation doesn't say anything because this gene might have effect on how your brain works or things we didn't even think about
    b) you need evidence that you have this gene by having cells analyzed in a lab
    I have read stories about people who have to keep taking shots for the rest of their lives, which makes it tricky to dismiss. However they have little good explanations why this happens in the first place. And if you look at other TMS symptoms, people also need to take keep taking painkillers for their chronic pain for life.
    People with TMS tend to have problems with digestion, that is because chronic stress creates havoc in your digestive and immune system. And yes, this may lead to deficiencies in your system. However, much of that is reversible if you keep a healthy diet and work on the psychological part of the problem, but it will take time to get everything realigned.
    Magnesium is also a good example. Therapist tell you that you don't absorb enough of it so you need to take supplements. They basically use the same approach as for B12 and they connect a lot of the same symptoms to it.
    I am not against taking supplements, especially when a conventional doctor feels you need them because they are dangerously low, but it involves a risk and that is that you ignore the psychological cause, so I am not surprised if you have to keep taking them.

I wish I had the technical knowledge to go into details, but this is what I believe and I think many of us have similar thoughts and/or experiences.
    That said, there is always a possibility that my believe is wrong in certain cases. This is why people have to make a decision themselves and take the responsibility for that decision, the TMS plunge I call it.

fridaynotes and Lily Rose like this.
  6. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

I've never heard that condition, "undermethylate", what is that?

7. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

8. pspa

pspa Well known member

In my never humble opinion mostly an alternative medicine fad resting on shaky assumptions about the significance of common polymorphisms on the mthfr gene. Blamed for a whole spectrum of ailments by the internet proponents and patient groups.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  9. Livinginhope

My husband feels the same way about TMS. My feeling is that if it works, go for it. All I can say is that the allopathic/alternative medicine field is thrilled to keep me alive as I am single handedly keeping them all afloat.

Ellen, Tennis Tom and Gigalos like this.
  10. pspa

pspa Well known member

You may have taken over my role lol. Countless thousands before i gave up on that path. But if it helps you great. Just be careful lots of quacks out there and in the patient groups imo.

11. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

I've paid my great share to the quacks, voo-dooers, rubbers and pounders to0--when all I needed to spend was 1 cent + $3.99 shipping, for a barely opened used copy of any one of Dr. Sarno's, books from Amazon.

fridaynotes likes this.
  12. Kalo

Kalo Well known member

TT, you couldn't of said it any better....Western medicine is by no means perfect...But NATUROPATHIC medicine is WORST.....They are quacks and are not real doctors...They create diseases because they are not doctors...Again, I am not saying Western Medicine is better, but, lyme disease, candida, etc is what they tend to treat, oh yeah, let's not forget parasites...Beware of the natural herbs they give you that make you sick..Any how if you don't believe me, this gal was a naturopathic doctor and one of the best..She is the whistle blower and the naturopathics are trying to shut her down...

So, livinghope if a naturopathic diagnosed you with chronic lyme, blah, blah, blah...I would take it with a grain of salt...Forget about the blood work they give...I wouldn't even trust the labs they sent it too...

You mite find this an interesting site...Britt Hermes https://www.naturopathicdiaries.com/ (Naturopathic Diaries)

Kalo

Tennis Tom and Gigalos like this.