1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

UK Mental Health Teem Dismissed my plea for help...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by breakfree, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Bex

Bex Newcomer

Breakfree, I would try and find a NHS therapist that you want to work with first, then go back to your GP and try and get them to refer you specifically to that therapist. Psychology as a treatment will never work if you don't have confidence in the therapist, and most doctors understand this much.

Good luck

breakfree likes this.
  2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Bex, unfortunately one could end up having a thousand psychology sessions and reap no rewards, if that psychologist isn't familiar or practicing those skills required for TMS healing.

But I do agree with the point regarding having a connection with the therapist, that's key.

3. Bex

Bex Newcomer

I am aware of that, but as they are not NHS funded, the cost makes put TMS therapists out of reach.

breakfree likes this.
  4. breakfree

breakfree Peer Supporter

This is exactly what I worry about Bex we have a VERY low income - I simply cannot afford to pay for tms therapy :(
    therefore the only option for me is the nhs

I'm actually seeing my GP today - I still don't know whether to peruse mental health/further counselling , or to try to mange all this on my own ???

x x

5. Bex

Bex Newcomer

It's a hard call given the experience you've had already. The issue is made harder when there is no TMS physiotherapists within your PCT area...getting referrals outside the PCT is hard enough for recognised conditions, let alone unsupported ones.

I think there are psychotherapists out there that are sympathetic to the principles of TMS even if they aren't listed on this site because there are conditions that are recognised as psychologically triggered, such as PTSD, that are treated on the NHS. The key is finding the right one and not letting your GP refer you to just anyone available, also not to pin all your hopes on it...you can still continue to self manage along side this.

breakfree likes this.
  6. breakfree

breakfree Peer Supporter

Hi All

Well my app with GP went well !!

She has offered (finally) to write back to Mental Health, and is going to state that the person who I saw (and myself) have had a relationship breakdown... and that she (and I feel) that I do in fact still need considerable help with the repression of feeling's due to the abuse that I suffered

So I am hopeful (but not overly so!!) fingers crossed, this time I might get some profession help,
    I will keep you informed

x x

7. Bex

Bex Newcomer

That's really positive news, well done...almost restores my faith in GPs!

When you find out who you are seeing, do a bit if reasearch on them to find out what qualifications and experience they have and what type of therapy they cover. This link explains the different options in the UK. It can appear to be a confusing choice but psychoanalysis or psychodynamic is the ideal

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Psychotherapy/Pages/Whatitisusedfor.aspx

breakfree likes this.
  8. breakfree

breakfree Peer Supporter

Hi Bex

thank you , and many thanks for the link too

x x