1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Two Supplement Questions

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by zclesa, Jun 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zclesa

zclesa Well known member

Hi,

I am currently on day 6 of a ridiculous migraine after starting TMS work. It is really very hard to do much feeling like this, including all the things that would help including thinking psychologically, being active, sleeping, being mindful, meditating and getting on with my life. The pain and brain fog is sometimes just too bad and not breaking a migraine keeps me in a negative feedback loop. I can not even retain information properly as my memory is shot. (Yesterday, I couldn't even spell. Thanks, brain.)

I can not break the migraine using medication. Painkillers do not do much. The only thing that ever truly breaks one of these is Valium. (A sure sign of TMS, as is my oversensitivity to side effects and inefficacy of any of the traditional migraine meds.) I can not take Valium every day. I understand that people for whom painkillers work do still use them when necessary. But since I can't take the meds that work for me with as much frequency as needed right now...

Q 1. I was wondering whether it might be a good idea to take some naturally calming supplements as I am only just starting out with this and do not want my migraine to be so debilitating as to stop me getting on with this. I was thinking of things like L-theanine (for GABA), Sunflower Lecithin, and Rhodiola Rosea. I am a recovering alcoholic, so my brain is naturally low in GABA anyway.

Note that none of these are "migraine" remedies. They are calming agents. I understand they are not treating root causes and I am not taking them for that reason at all. It is simply to be able to start functioning well again while doing the important things for TMS recovery.

Q 2. If this is a good idea, does anyone know of any supplements that do NOT cause down-regulation of your body's own ability to produce calmative neurotransmitters, and will NOT cause a rebound effect (like increased anxiety upon stopping)?

L-theanine, for example, is a great supplement for boosting GABA, but possibly over time may effect your body's own ability to produce what's needed. I believe Rhodiola also needs to be "cycled" or your body gets too used to it, although I have only heard that anecdotally and have seen no science to back it up.

Thanks if anyone knows about this.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Locking this thread. The only responses were spammers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.