1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Two miles - NO pain!

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by North Star, Sep 10, 2013.

1. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

I read the book last week....it's been quite a week of revelation as I've jumped in to the deep waters with this TMS stuff. (Reading, hanging out here, reading some more, and journaling.)

A little history. I've struggled with what I thought was fibromyalgia for many years. I know now it was TMS and the most devastating manifestation was a shin split and eventually severe achilles tendonitis that crippled me for several years. I LOVE walking and hiking, btw.

My list of docs/modalities/treatments is lengthy. And while some things have helped short term...the pain would always return. (Dry needling anyone?!:eek:)

I've gradually reduced my walking to nothing. As a matter of fact, I went for a two mile walk last week after acupuncture to see if that would help. Ha. I woke up in the middle of the night with excruciating pain in that leg.

Enter Dr. Sarno's book a few days after that walk.

I tossed the heel lift, the $300 orthotics and the trek pole and went for my first two mile walk a few days ago. My leg started hurting but I told it to shut up. Your gig's up, brain!

Anyway, that was a few walks ago. Today, there was mild tightness but it was a "good" tightness...no doubt from getting more walking. No Pain! No ice massage after the walk! And no ibuprofen!

My next task is to get swimming again. I was up to swimming one mile when my shoulder flared. It's still bothersome but now that I know the source, I will work toward that mile mark again.

I am just so excited to have some success to build on. This has been a long, hellacious road and I was concerned getting out of this pit would require a lot of work before I saw any results.

So....YAY for walks early on in this journey! And thanks again to everyone for the loving, supportive community here.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Congratulations! And thanks for sharing your success. I love the phrase "your gigs up, brain!". I'm going to use that one.

3. North Star

Thanks, Ellen! Glad you'll find my phrase handy. I have teenagers so I probably say that plenty around here!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  4. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, you have success to build on! Put it on your evidence sheet and keep building! Thanks for sharing. This is very encouraging.

5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Congratulations! Walking is a great way to build up your activity, and going two miles is superb. The best part of your post is your confidence in this approach and your believe that your symptoms are benign. You are an inspiration.

6. North Star

Thanks, Anne! And yes...I put it down on paper. I feel like a new Amway convert...I'm talking to anyone who'll listen about it. ;:D

Forest, thank you! I've been reading your posts and watched that interview so I appreciate how giving you are. It has helped me.

Here's to more victories! :)

7. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

This is so awesome MontanaMom, all of us that have healed
    or recovering have had those moments in thought in which
    we just knew that we were on the right road to recovery.

Sounds like you've found that road. Your doing great in a short amount of time.
    That means your believing in your diagnosis of Tms on a deeper level- that's good.
    I love your enthusiasm too. I think optimism is a crucial factor in getting well quicker.

Your on the right track so keep us up- dated. We all are rooting for ya, cause you cant stop
    an individual once the wheels start rolling. You've seen progress- its helping you believe even deeper
    that's the key, just getting it on that deeper level. You got it , thanks for keeping us up to date
    God bless

8. North Star

Aw, thanks so much for your kind words, Herbie! I hope my progress continues upward and onward. My one leg's been trying to act up more this evening...I keep telling it to shut up. I honestly can't get my mind around the simplicity....and complexity of our brains.

I had coffee with a good friend this morning; I told her about the book and she was eager to discuss her revelation. I love the strength and encouragement of a forum like this but I feel especially blessed to have a local friend to journey with.

God bless you back, Herbie!

9. Birdie

Birdie Peer Supporter

Hi MontanaMom, wow, congrats to your first 2-miles-walk! I am in the same place, suffering from "fibro" and "myofascial pain syndrome" and excruciating tendon pain and this week I had an experience which was the definite proof in my eyes that all of my tendon pain is TMS. What a relief! And yes, had a lot of dry needling (ouch), but only with temporary or no pain relief.
    Looking forward to hear more from your great experiences! Go on with your TMS-journey!

10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

MontanaMom,

How exciting and wonderful that you're doing so well. Birdie and everyone else can draw
    inspiration from how TMS is helping to get well. I too love "Your gigs up, brain!"
    That's telling your unconscious.

Hope you can start swimming. It's one of the best exercises.

11. North Star

Hi Birdie...it really truly is amazing at how the brain sends such affliction! I had several sessions of the dry needle....the last session was so excruciating. I knew I just couldn't do it anymore. And the effects would only last a few days. Terrible return on the painful investment. So glad you're here!

Walt, Swimming has been my go-to exercise through all those...except for the fact I quit lap swimming when my shoulder flared so much. What a grief...I was up to swimming one mile! I am going to begin doing laps again...aware of the tactics! Yay! It's so good to see "a life" appearing on the horizon. I've felt like my world was just shrinking; I would joke with friends that soon they'd find me in a motor scooter wrapped in an egg crate mattress. GAH!!!