1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Twitching of the bicep

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by brendan537, Jan 25, 2017.

1. brendan537

brendan537 Peer Supporter

i have had TMS for 4 years. I am a 22 year old male. Every symptom I've had it. Tonight I was just flexing my bicep and noticed it was twitching and moving while I flexed. It is the strangest thing. I've had twitching all over my body for years now but tonight it freaked me out to just see my muscle moving around and twitching involuntarily. Anyone experience this?

2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Nothing to worry about. I had twitching muscles all over my body. It freaked me out in the beginning but nowadays when it happens it doesn't bother me. Especially when a large muscle is involved, like a bicep or calf muscle, it looks pretty weird.
    Search for muscle twitch on youtube to see numerous examples of this phenomenon. They sometimes call it benign fasciculation syndrome.

mike2014 and Mermaid like this.
  3. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

Gigalos is absolutely right, it's nothing, just ignore it.

4. TMSMatt

TMSMatt New Member

I agree with the others Brendan. I used to get it only in my left calf and it freaked me out. Before I knew about TMS, I would consult Dr. Google on such matters and was at one time convinced it was ALS. I have come to realize that these muscle twitches are just there, BFS, as Gigalos mentions. There are times after I go for a long walk that I will notice twitching all over the muscles in my rear-lower extremities (buttocks, hamstrings, calves, etc.). I just see it as a healthy reaction to muscle movement (i.e. your bicep flexion). In fact, as I write this, I notice some twitching in my left knee area. I have experienced this phenomenon all over including my eyelids and hand muscles. These days when I notice these weird twitches it only emboldens my diagnosis since I see it as TMS moving around, trying to find a location to "set up shop" and send me down the fear and anxiety rabbit hole. No more, I'm not buying it. I simply notice the twitching, and divert my mind to something positive...there's nothing to see here. If you pay attention to the twitching, just watch, it will continue. Ignore it, and it's as good as gone. Good luck!

5. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes you all have the right idea! Muscle fasciculations are nothing to worry about, they are normal and everyone experiences them. They shouldn't be painful. ALS is quite rare and trust me you'd have other symptoms if you had that awful disease (speaking as someone who has worked with ALS patients!) Just think of muscle twitches as "normal abnormalities" and you'll be just fine.