1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Turning Point!!!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Dexy, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Dexy

Dexy Peer Supporter

I wanted to let you all know that I have had a major turning point in the last few days. I can really feel that I am getting this on a level deeper than I have in the past few years, and I am truly able to not fear the symptoms, more and more and more. It feels so very empowering!

The biggest realization I have had is that whenever I feel the pain, I do not wish that the pain would go away, I indeed think psychological and know that it's NOT the physical pain, it's my obsession with it! Whenever I think, "I'm obsessing", it somehow calms me down, and I feel like I am in my power because I know it's not my body, it's my brain's tendency to obsess. It has been really helpful, and I don't know how to quite articulate it, but I definitely feel that I have "turned a corner" in the past few days! I couldn't confidently say this in the past three years since I have found the TMS diagnosis---I realize I was still fearing the pain on a subconscious level even though I was telling myself not to and I believed in my thinking brain that it wasn't physical, there was still some underlying fear. I believe it was my brain's way of getting my attention until I figured out what the issue was that I needed to work on--OBSESSION! I don't need to get rid of the physical pain, I need to continue working on not obsessing.

I have hope and I feel really good about this, and it's less of a "hold on for dear life lest this slip away" that I had in the past when my pain would be less, but now understanding how to really deal so that I don't need to hold on for dear life and be afraid of my own reactions when the pain returns. I now have good control of my own reactions to the pain and this has made all the difference! I wanted to share in case this was helpful to any of you.

KevinB, Mermaid, Forest and 1 other person like this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Dexy. You truly have found the "aha moment" Dr. Sarno writes about. You have changed your thinking of pain being caused by somethings structural and that they are psychological. It takes 100 percent belief in TMS for the subconscious to stop sending pain. Keep working on not obsessing about any pain and turn your thoughts on to discovering the repressed emotions that may still be inside you.

Mermaid and Dexy like this.
  3. Dexy

Dexy Peer Supporter

Thank you very much and great tips, Walt!

4. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

Hi Dexy,

I've been through the exact same experience as you, so your post really struck a chord with me. I used to create symptoms before I had to do something important, because I was afraid of getting symptoms due to the stress caused by the important event ! Crazy I know, but that my "helpful" unconscious mind. It's taken an age to unravel the pattern and I can still fall into the trap occasionally, but I'm only human. I just accept it and work through it again.

I 'm thrilled for you that you've had this breakthrough, it's a major achievement.

Well done tiphata

Dexy likes this.
  5. COgirl05

COgirl05 Peer Supporter

Dexy - this is awesome! I have been trying to get to this point for some time. I get there with one type of pain and then it moves and I have to get there again with the next. Right now, my grandma is on hospice and I've been really anxious about it. It's definitely not my first death, nor first time working with hospice, but for some reason, this time has been completely wound up. I feel anxious, on edge and I'm have back spasms and different types of back pain. I went to visit her the other day and it was traumatic for me because it wasn't what I was expecting to see and instantly my back seized up. It was the definition of TMS but now I'm afraid the pain is just going to keep coming back. I really wish I could get to the place you're at!! Good job.

6. KevinB

KevinB Well known member

I love this.