1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TURNING ANXIETY INTO CALMNESS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021), Sep 24, 2014.

1. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

There is a Youtube on this subject that everyone might find useful, as I did.
    It's called

How Your Brain Can Turn Anxiety Into Calmness:

Prof. Martin Rossman at the University of California lectures to students on the subject
    of how our imagination can help or harm us. If we suffer from anxiety (who doesn't?),
    he recommends using IMAGERY to change our thoughts from stressful to peaceful.

Imagery is a topic often recommended as a technique in TMS healing, and this video
    does an excellent job of explaining how imagery can calm an anxious mind.

The video is about an hour and a half long, most of it technical, explaining how
    imagination affects the mind. The last half hour focuses on examples of using
    imagery to calm the mind. Rossman says this can be done quickly if we imagine
    ourself on a sunny beach such as one in Hawaii and feel the sun and let the light
    engulf us as we experience the peace and safety of being at such a beach.

I put my mind back on an island in the Minnesota-Ontario northwoods canoe canoe
    country where I spent blissful days and weeks on vacation some years ago. Imagining
    myself back there never fails to calm me, recalling the warmth of the sun, the gentle
    breezes in the trees, the sound of water lapping onto the shore, the calls of loons
    across the lake.

You can imagine yourself to be at a calming place, maybe even with someone you love.
    Rossman suggests imaging together with deep belly breathing and exhaling as you
    tell yourself you are letting go of all anxiety and tension.

Imagining yourself at a peaceful place can be done in an instant and you don't have
    to take a plane to get there. Let your mind go there, and feel the calm.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2014
    labrador likes this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

In a thread entitled "Overwhelmed with stressors from a move," Walt suggested this video as a good way to relax. North Star replied,
    I thought her endorsement was worth reproducing here as it could be helpful to someone.

As for myself, I'm dying to watch the video, but just haven't had time yet. It looks terrific. Hopefully soon... :)

3. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks, Forest…it really is worth the time to watch. (BTW, I DID watch again yesterday afternoon.) It is part of a "mini medical school" for the general public and the guided imagery exercise at the end demonstrates its effectiveness.

4. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

this was an excellent class. Thank you so much for posting it. It really was worth it to watch the whole thing.

North Star likes this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I really like Professor Rossman's imagery video and find that when I switch my mind
    from anxiety to visualizing myself in the northwoods canoe country, I do calm down.

If anyone has a favorite calming place, that's wonderful. If not, imagine one.