1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Trying unsuccessfully to join the forum? Read this!

Discussion in 'About This Site' started by JanAtheCPA, Mar 4, 2020.

1. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Someone who has been unable to post on the forum finally contacted a friend who is also on the forum, who PC'd me to ask for help. The person has a registered account, but when trying to post receives a "waiting for email confirmation" message. They had tried requesting the confirmation email multiple times but did not receive it. Based on the personal relationship with our member, who also confirmed the email address, I manually approved the account.

However, it occurred to me to check the registration queue, where I found an alarming number of registrations still waiting for confirmation. There were 17 just going back to Feb 1, most of which appear legitimate (one was a spammer, and several did not provide any kind of introductory information, so they are questionable).

Here are some reasons why you might not receive your confirmation email from us:

1. The email address you provided is not valid.

2. The email address you provided is one that you don't check often, and/or it is not set up to be forwarded to your primary email account.

3. Your email provider or ISP is doing too good a job filtering out possible spam, and the email sent by our forum registration system is being sent to your spam folder (best scenario) or is being outright rejected by the ISP (worst scenario).

Here is what you can do:

1. You can go into your account details and request that the email be sent again - then check your spam folder.

2. If the email doesn't show up there, you'll have to figure out how to "whitelist" email addresses with your provider or ISP. The address is noreply@tmswiki.org

It's important to whitelist this address, because it's the same one that sends you notifications that there are replies to posts that you start or follow, or that you've received a PC from another member.

~Jan

2. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

that happened to me, so I chose to log in with facebook, but I would prefer to have my own password etc...

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Now that's a new one to me, nowa, but I see it clearly in the admin module - your FB account is clearly linked. And I can't unlink it from our side, which means you'll have to do it from Facebook. I truly have no idea what would happen if you tried to log in and not use FB, although you would probably have to totally clear your browser history for that to happen.

First, a couple of questions:

- Do you receive email notifications whenever someone posts to a thread you are engage in, or if you receive a PC/PM? (Private Conversation).

- can you make changes in your forum account, such as your email address or password? If so, you should check those before you do anything in Facebook. You should perhaps change the password so you know for sure what it is.

I think these are the steps in Facebook:

1. Go to your Settings in Facebook (from the select-down arrow on the far right of the dark blue menu bar, next to the ?Help icon).

2. Select the link for Apps and Websites.
    You should be able to disassociate this login once you are in there, but I don't know what it will look like, because I don't have any associated apps or logins.

3. Once you've done that, try logging in here using the original password you set up, and request the confirmation email.
    If it's not obvious how to request that, trying making a post on this thread. If your status has reverted back to "unconfirmed", you'll see a popup with a link to request the email. If you are able to make the post, that means that somehow you're still a valid user, so nothing more needs to be done, presumably. I'll be interested to find out.

3. If you don't receive the email with the confirmation link in a reasonable amount of time, check your spam folder. (should be less than 10 minutes - in a test I did last night it was not instantaneous, but maybe 2-3 minutes?).

If none of that works, you're going to have to re-establish your FB login link, unfortunately.

BTW, in googling around on this topic, I see that Facebook just recently agreed to send notification emails whenever anyone uses their account to log in to 3rd party websites. There should be a link in that email to manage your logins.

Ain't technology wonderful?

4. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

yes I do get email alerts, and I do not have the energy to go through all the steps that you suggest, so that I will stay with the facebook log in for now...

5. harlet

harlet Newcomer

Hi there, I am new here, and it was difficult to sign up for me too